Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(These pertain to a US citizen filing for UK fiancé visa, followed by filing for change in status after the wedding):

1: I was always under the impression that once you enter UK with your fiancé visa, you're locked in UK (no day trips to France, etc), but I read some say MULT instead of 1 for number of entries; are they always multiple entry as well, and would you trust it to let you in repeatedly before the wedding? (I'd like to take some day trips to France, and maybe visit my sister in Russia - although that one is complicated enough that I might make it it's own thread).

2: If you have gone through this yourself, how soon was your appointment for you 2.5 year ILR after you filed online after your wedding for the change in status? (My family's only worry in all this is that I won't be able to ravel back to USA if a family emergency arises; if I can get my biometric card in 1-2 weeks instead of 13 weeks, that will help.)

3: I think I've read I can apply for Life in the UK exam anytime once I enter, as soon as I have proof of address; when do I HAVE to have it by - when I file for change in status, the day of the appointment, 2.5 years later on next checkup, or 5 years later at final checkup?

4: When am I considered a UK resident - when I first land, or after I get my biometric card? (Many things require you to be a UK resident - getting a bank account, credit card, driving license, contests, etc.; I'd like to know when I can start doing all that).

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
(These pertain to a US citizen filing for UK fiancé visa, followed by filing for change in status after the wedding):

1: I was always under the impression that once you enter UK with your fiancé visa, you're locked in UK (no day trips to France, etc), but I read some say MULT instead of 1 for number of entries; are they always multiple entry as well, and would you trust it to let you in repeatedly before the wedding? (I'd like to take some day trips to France, and maybe visit my sister in Russia - although that one is complicated enough that I might make it it's own thread).
It's multi-entry up until the day you get married.

2: If you have gone through this yourself, how soon was your appointment for you 2.5 year ILR after you filed online after your wedding for the change in status? (My family's only worry in all this is that I won't be able to ravel back to USA if a family emergency arises; if I can get my biometric card in 1-2 weeks instead of 13 weeks, that will help.)
Appointments for in-person applications open up 6 weeks in advance.

3: I think I've read I can apply for Life in the UK exam anytime once I enter, as soon as I have proof of address; when do I HAVE to have it by - when I file for change in status, the day of the appointment, 2.5 years later on next checkup, or 5 years later at final checkup?
You need to have passed the Life in the UK test for ILR which you apply for after 5 years on FLR (M) but yes, you can take it at any time as the results don't expire.

4: When am I considered a UK resident - when I first land, or after I get my biometric card? (Many things require you to be a UK resident - getting a bank account, credit card, driving license, contests, etc.; I'd like to know when I can start doing all that).
You need to get your name on some bills like council tax and utilities as soon as you can. It's unlikely that you'll qualify for a credit card for a while. You can apply for a provisional licence after 6 months in the UK but you can drive on your US licence for up to a year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to get your name on some bills like council tax and utilities as soon as you can. It's unlikely that you'll qualify for a credit card for a while. You can apply for a provisional licence after 6 months in the UK but you can drive on your US licence for up to a year.
(Just posting this in case it helps someone): Capital One has credit cards in USA (which I have), Canada and UK; they said I can call them once I'm a UK resident and they will get me a UK credit card (and I'll finally have a chip-and-PIN card with a UK billing address :) !). American Express even has a web site specifically for cardholders moving to another country. Between these two, I should be able to have 2 cards in the UK. (I know American Express isn't used much in UK; I don't even use it in USA anymore now that I've grown up a little :p and can trust myself to pay off the balance every month, but I kept it open specifically so I could get some UK credit.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.