Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I will be studying in France for at least a year beginning in January and I was wondering what the environment was like for minorities that attend football matches in France? I have heard of some ugly incidents when it comes to the treatment of minority players, especially black players (monkey noises, bananas thrown), and that some teams have pretty vocal extreme right wing supporters. Now being from the states I prefer football (the American version), but if I get the chance to experience a European football match I'm just wondering if I should I go ahead and enjoy myself or politely decline the invite? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, you really dont have to worry about this. Football is by far the most popular sport in france, enjoyed by both lower and upper classes, black,whites, everybody.If there is one thing that brings everybody back together, it's sport.

I personnally dont like it but im really an exception in a sea of football fans, they are everywhere and 99% of the pop will enjoy going to a football match. You shouldnt be concerned about security or racisme, because there is really no reasons to worry ! If you like sports, you'll definetly enjoy yourself at a football game.

You should google images for france's national team, you may be surprised to see that about 70 % of the team is black.
So as you see, I dont know if we can still talk about minorities here :)

Enjoy !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.