Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends,
23/9 changes affect tens of thousands of people, many of whom are distressed and angry. Having shelled out thousands of dollars in costs and fees to apply to migrate to Australia, they've now been told that it will be years before their applications are even looked at.

Applicants within Australia must wait until at the least the end of 2011 before their cases are processed; migrants applying from overseas must wait until at least the end of 2012.

As we reported two weeks ago on The National Interest, their cases are on indefinite hold because of new priority processing arrangements put in place by Immigration Minister Senator Chris Evans.
Immigration Minister responds to backlog concerns - The National Interest - 13 November 2009

The key point is,
1.The minister said that the MODL review is underway and will take 'a couple of months'
2.There are almost 105000 offshore applicants and 30,000 onshore.
3.He dont want to refund the applicant amount.

So please valuable comment are invited,

Thanks
Ritu

·
Registered
619 Posts
Dear Friends,
23/9 changes affect tens of thousands of people, many of whom are distressed and angry. Having shelled out thousands of dollars in costs and fees to apply to migrate to Australia, they've now been told that it will be years before their applications are even looked at.

Applicants within Australia must wait until at the least the end of 2011 before their cases are processed; migrants applying from overseas must wait until at least the end of 2012.

As we reported two weeks ago on The National Interest, their cases are on indefinite hold because of new priority processing arrangements put in place by Immigration Minister Senator Chris Evans.
Immigration Minister responds to backlog concerns - The National Interest - 13 November 2009

The key point is,
1.The minister said that the MODL review is underway and will take 'a couple of months'

Thanks
Ritu

Very interesting broadcast. I was really surprised by Chris Evans lack of sympathy towards those of us who's applications were delayed. He doesn't care about the emotional issues we face when applying for migration, and having our dreams ripped away. I suppose he's only doing his job, which is to bring in immigrants who are in demand and have high chance of employment. However, this 'I dont care about everyone else' attitude will reflect negatively on the DIAC and could come back and bite them in the ass when Australia is no longer a place where people want to migrate because of their flip-flop inconsistent migration program.

I really hope that the changes that are being worked on are fair to everyone. Let's get it right this time DIAC!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I'm not defending him (or his decisions - which ultimately come from the government and not DIAC) but I find that people who haven't been through the process simply don't understand it.

Some of them think it's amazing but would never want to do it, and others have no clue about the waiting (for us two years) and how that puts your life on hold. We simply wouldn't make any major decisions while waiting for the visa results because we really weren't sure whether we would get in. We hoped we would but until you get that bit of paper (or possibly see it online - we applied through an agent) you never really *know*.

I do feel for those that are stuck in limbo. This global financial crisis hasn't happened in most people's experience and they simply don't know what to do and hence all the changes.

Ultimately people must do what's best for them - whether that means waiting the time for visa or looking elsewhere.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i think he does have a valid point. I know I should not be saying he is right when my application has been on hold since a year now but it is for them to control the economy, i guess, one of the reason why the economy was not affected by the recession was the decision to go slow with the migration, had they not done this, australia wud have been badly hit as well. I think its a matter of time, as evans says, as the economy gets better, they might get things back to normal, provided it does get better.

they should be open to refunding the fee is someone wishes to withdraw their application.

they are making it difficult for them, yes, in the coming years, if they continue to act so stubborn, i dont think many would want to move to a place which is so uncertain. or maybe australia can afford to act headstrong..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all,
But the frequently changes is not good for applicant ,becaz some of them requested medical and pcc from co.But the rules are often changes,Who is the responsibility of their valuable money and time.I feel once the co allocated he should finish his final stage application. Anybody knows how many applications are final stage? my application is first............

Ritu

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
HI Ritu, i am sorry for what you are going thru but think about it, the minister is doing what is best for the country. i know at certain points he was being unreasonable, an extension to the meds and PCC is one thing which they should do instead of asking people to get it done but thinking from their point of view, they are right.
he has no personal enmity with anyone, it is what they feel would keep the unemployment and the economy from falling down, this is one of the reasons why AU is not as badly hit as US and UK are.

I might be wrong but this is how i feel.

·
Registered
303 Posts
HI Ritu, i am sorry for what you are going thru but think about it, the minister is doing what is best for the country. i know at certain points he was being unreasonable, an extension to the meds and PCC is one thing which they should do instead of asking people to get it done but thinking from their point of view, they are right.
he has no personal enmity with anyone, it is what they feel would keep the unemployment and the economy from falling down, this is one of the reasons why AU is not as badly hit as US and UK are.

I might be wrong but this is how i feel.
I agree with anj looking at the state of the UK. They have let far too many immigrants in here over the previous 12 years and it has got the country no where. Unemployment keeps going up, housing is in a crisis, the tax payer is paying for far too many people and i could go on and on.

At least Australia have their heads sewn on! and are prioritising according to their needs, hats off to them is what i say. It is horrible when your waiting and i have been there myself, so totally agree with the upset etc, but everyone needs to be patient and keep their dreams alive. You most probably will get there one of the days.

Good-luck to all of you who are waiting to go and i hope you get your visas soon....ellisa:)

·
Registered
619 Posts
I agree with anj looking at the state of the UK. They have let far too many immigrants in here over the previous 12 years and it has got the country no where. Unemployment keeps going up, housing is in a crisis, the tax payer is paying for far too many people and i could go on and on.

At least Australia have their heads sewn on! and are prioritising according to their needs, hats off to them is what i say. It is horrible when your waiting and i have been there myself, so totally agree with the upset etc, but everyone needs to be patient and keep their dreams alive. You most probably will get there one of the days.

Good-luck to all of you who are waiting to go and i hope you get your visas soon....ellisa:)
I agree with you both, ellisa & anj, that they are doing the right thing. However, just a simple "we're sorry folks, we know it must be hard for you" would go a long way in terms of public relations.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dear Friends,

The key point is,

Thanks
Ritu
I may need some clarification here though, as I did not listen or read his speech.

May I know if his speech affects those whose job are on the CSL as well? or just those who aren't in the list.

I'm an accountant (CSL), and I emailed DIAC last week, and today I got a reply (sounds automated to me) saying that since I am already in CSL, then my application should be approved within 12 months. Of course I just only applied in Oct 2009, so I "expect" it to be approved by Oct 2010???

Or did Chris Evans speech indirectly affected me as well?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi Beast,
no the interview doesnt talk of anything in particular, just a 'I'm not sorry' attitude of evans and the interviewer trying to speak but evans not letting him :p
he talks about pending visas and why they are doing what they are doing in terms of CSL being in priority.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi Beast,
no the interview doesnt talk of anything in particular, just a 'I'm not sorry' attitude of evans and the interviewer trying to speak but evans not letting him :p
he talks about pending visas and why they are doing what they are doing in terms of CSL being in priority.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts