Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read a few threads that mention a minimum income of 9601€, Is this per person? My partner and I are early retirees from UK with private pensions. How much is the lowest medical insurance we can buy? We're 57 and 61.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I've read a few threads that mention a minimum income of 9601€, Is this per person? My partner and I are early retirees with private pensions. How much is the lowest medical insurance we can buy? We're 57 and 61.
It's per household.
For state healthcare, you pay 8% cent of your total household income above that threshold.
State healthcare entitles you to reimbursement of around 70 per cent of medical expenses.
You're not obliged to take out any supplementary cover, you can pay the remaining 30 per cent yourself if you prefer.
If you don't want to/aren't eligible to join the state healthcare system, you would need to take out comprehensive private health insurance, the cost of which will depend on your personal situation and medical histories.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
You will however have to have resided permanently in France for 3 months before you can apply to join the health system and then there is the time taken to process your paper work so for the first year you will need private health insurance anyway

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will however have to have resided permanently in France for 3 months before you can apply to join the health system and then there is the time taken to process your paper work so for the first year you will need private health insurance anyway
I realise that Crabtree, however there was no point even looking for private health insurance if we didn't meet the minimum income criteria.

How much on average does it cost for a couple 57 and 61 with no major health issues?

I also need to research house, car and pet insurance. We don't have a mortgage and don't intend having one in the future. I'm looking at properties online and checking the tax fonciere. I don't think we'd pay much habitation tax as one of us is over 60 and we're on modest pensions until we get our state pensions. We don't smoke and don't drink much, electricity seems to be cheaper in France, we're mainly vegetarian and very rarely eat out.

I think health insurance will be our biggest expense please correct me if I've missed something important.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I am not sure you have the right end of the stick in relation to french healthcare.THe minimum income that is being talked about is the minimum amount you need to have as an "inactif" ie early retired in order to join the French State health system which is a contributory system.Once you have lived in France for 5 years this minimum level does not apply.Basically this level is set so the French state does not have to subsidise incomers until they have been here for 5 years.If you do not meet this income level then you need to look at private insurance.However you do not need a minimum income to live in France as an EU citizen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts