Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings hope everyone is well, just a quick intro here. My name is Mike and I live in Nicaragua. I moved here permanently about one and a half years ago. I'm married to a Nicaraguan lady and we have a small farm in the hills on the outskirts of the capital city of Managua. We are up about 1,000 feet in elevation so that keeps the high temperature a bit more manageable. Did I mention it is hot in Nicaragua? :)

The best advice I could give to someone interested in moving here is to get connected to someone who has a working network of people who can get stuff done here. It is all about personal relationships and being introduced to the right sort of people who either know directly how to do things here or know the persons who do that work. I'm talking about anything from buying property and vehicles to getting your phone/cable/Internet installed properly.

This is a great place to land for some of the expats, but it isn't for everybody that is for sure. I think lots of people are moving here and even more so in the future (which is closer than we might think).

Cheers,
Mike El Porton Verde

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cost of Living

Greetings hope everyone is well, just a quick intro here. My name is Mike and I live in Nicaragua. I moved here permanently about one and a half years ago. I'm married to a Nicaraguan lady and we have a small farm in the hills on the outskirts of the capital city of Managua. We are up about 1,000 feet in elevation so that keeps the high temperature a bit more manageable. Did I mention it is hot in Nicaragua? :)

The best advice I could give to someone interested in moving here is to get connected to someone who has a working network of people who can get stuff done here. It is all about personal relationships and being introduced to the right sort of people who either know directly how to do things here or know the persons who do that work. I'm talking about anything from buying property and vehicles to getting your phone/cable/Internet installed properly.

This is a great place to land for some of the expats, but it isn't for everybody that is for sure. I think lots of people are moving here and even more so in the future (which is closer than we might think).

Cheers,
Mike El Porton Verde
Cost of living fairly inexpensive there? How far from Managua to Leon? Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jim, yes cost of living is low here. Buying imported foods and electronics can cost more than the States though.

Managua to Leon is about an 1 hr. 20 minutes drive.

cheers,
Mike @ El Portón Verde

·
Registered
59 Posts
ok, thanks. I lived in CR for 3 1/2 yrs and never really felt comfortable there. Been to Mexico 5 times and very inexpensive. May try Nicaragua next time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts