Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Since this is my first post I guess I should give a bit of info about myself. I'm a 24 mechanical engineer living in Toronto, Canada and I'm looking for a change of scenery after living in the same city my whole life.

A couple weeks ago I decided to start looking into engineering jobs in other countries. I stumbled on Melbourne on Forbes' list of 20 top cities to live in and the more reading I've done into the city the more interested I've become. So I'm going to start working towards getting a Visa because, as I understand, once I obtain it I have 5 years to actually make the move.

My current degree and work experience (1.5 years) falls on the MODL, SOL and CSL list (60 points.) I get 30 points for being 24 and 15 points for holding a Canadian passport. So I have already surpassed the 100 point mark for the Visa I was thinking of applying for, Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) (Victoria) which requires 100 points. My current employer has an office in Melbourne, so I could ask for a transfer but I'm not going to rely on that for a Visa application.

Now from what I've read, I have to get my degree recognized. So I need to send in a bunch of certified documents to Engineers Australia since my country is on the Washington Accord.

Now therein lies my question. At what point should I go about getting my skills assessment done? Should I do that before I start applying for my 176? Or once I apply will they ask to get that done? I couldn't find a definitive answer on this so I thought someone on here might be able to offer some insight.

Thanks in advance!

- Greg

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi everyone,

Since this is my first post I guess I should give a bit of info about myself. I'm a 24 mechanical engineer living in Toronto, Canada and I'm looking for a change of scenery after living in the same city my whole life.

A couple weeks ago I decided to start looking into engineering jobs in other countries. I stumbled on Melbourne on Forbes' list of 20 top cities to live in and the more reading I've done into the city the more interested I've become. So I'm going to start working towards getting a Visa because, as I understand, once I obtain it I have 5 years to actually make the move.

My current degree and work experience (1.5 years) falls on the MODL, SOL and CSL list (60 points.) I get 30 points for being 24 and 15 points for holding a Canadian passport. So I have already surpassed the 100 point mark for the Visa I was thinking of applying for, Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) (Victoria) which requires 100 points. My current employer has an office in Melbourne, so I could ask for a transfer but I'm not going to rely on that for a Visa application.

Now from what I've read, I have to get my degree recognized. So I need to send in a bunch of certified documents to Engineers Australia since my country is on the Washington Accord.

Now therein lies my question. At what point should I go about getting my skills assessment done? Should I do that before I start applying for my 176? Or once I apply will they ask to get that done? I couldn't find a definitive answer on this so I thought someone on here might be able to offer some insight.

Thanks in advance!

- Greg
Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forum! My advice would be to try and apply for the 175 visa. This will give you much more flexibility. You will not have to worry about being commited to one state for 2 years, giving you the freedom to move around. Looking at the points calculator, you should be able to get 120 points for 175 with additional 15 points for the 'Occupation in demand/job offer' section.

However, both the 175 & 176 require a minimum of 2 years work experience, unless you have completed recent study in Australia. You would have to wait to apply until you meet this requirement.

You will need to get yourself a valid skills assessment before you apply for the visa too. You might want to check with Engineers Australia to see if they even look at your work experience. If not, then you could probably just get your skills assessment done while you wait (maybe someone else on the forum can confirm this)

If you wait 6 months until you have enough experience to apply, then also be aware that the CSL/MODL may change and your skill may, or may not, be removed. Be prepared for the unexpected.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Greg:

See if you can do a company transfer to the AU office of your company. This is normally the quickest way to get an AU visa and also has the added benefit of having employment on arrival.

Look at the 457 and 856/121 class visas. Also as you would have employer sponsorship this is given the highest priority in processing.

I found that I had to have a conversation going with my company for 1 yr about this choice before it was all approved internally. Then visa processing itself was a matter of months.

You can certainly go the independent route either 175 or 176 class visa.

Good luck :)

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

- Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Greg:

See if you can do a company transfer to the AU office of your company. This is normally the quickest way to get an AU visa and also has the added benefit of having employment on arrival.

Look at the 457 and 856/121 class visas. Also as you would have employer sponsorship this is given the highest priority in processing.

I found that I had to have a conversation going with my company for 1 yr about this choice before it was all approved internally. Then visa processing itself was a matter of months.

You can certainly go the independent route either 175 or 176 class visa.

Good luck :)
The reason I have avoided asking for the transfer (at least as of right now) is that I was hired under the pretense I would be staying with my branch of the company for a few years, since the position I'm in takes about a year to get settled into. I'm afraid if I request a transfer this early in my career it might mar my manager's recommendation.

Although on our last business trip my manager urged me to go out and explore the world while I can, so he might be more understanding than I think.

We're driving up to Montreal (5hr drive) on Wednesday for a meeting with a customer, so I'm going to try bring it up in conversation to get a feel of what his stance is. Just have to think of a way to do that...

But that uncertainty is what's making me consider the 175/176 Visa's.

matjones: Can you tell me where you saw that I must have 2 years of work experience before applying for the 175/176? I'm rereading Form 1121i (SOL list) and I thought that the 2 years of experience is only for ENSOL? Could I fall under the General Skilled Migration - Offshore General Skilled to bypass that 2 years experience. Although by the looks of the time required for me to procure the necessary documents, submitting them to Engineers Australia and receiving an answer it will be almost my 2 year anniversary.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Do have that conversation. These days the 175/176 can take > 1 yr anyway in processing time unless you have some form of sponsorship and/or job offer.

I had a similar conversation with my manager and then an AU manager and I think most are OK with it unless you are bolting within a few months to another place.

At the time I asked I was about 4 yrs with my company so had experience and had already proved my worth in the original location.

Simply them knowing you have an interest in the place opens doors (this is what happened for me).

The reason I have avoided asking for the transfer (at least as of right now) is that I was hired under the pretense I would be staying with my branch of the company for a few years, since the position I'm in takes about a year to get settled into. I'm afraid if I request a transfer this early in my career it might mar my manager's recommendation.

Although on our last business trip my manager urged me to go out and explore the world while I can, so he might be more understanding than I think.

We're driving up to Montreal (5hr drive) on Wednesday for a meeting with a customer, so I'm going to try bring it up in conversation to get a feel of what his stance is. Just have to think of a way to do that...

But that uncertainty is what's making me consider the 175/176 Visa's.

matjones: Can you tell me where you saw that I must have 2 years of work experience before applying for the 175/176? I'm rereading Form 1121i (SOL list) and I thought that the 2 years of experience is only for ENSOL? Could I fall under the General Skilled Migration - Offshore General Skilled to bypass that 2 years experience. Although by the looks of the time required for me to procure the necessary documents, submitting them to Engineers Australia and receiving an answer it will be almost my 2 year anniversary.

·
Registered
619 Posts
matjones: Can you tell me where you saw that I must have 2 years of work experience before applying for the 175/176? I'm rereading Form 1121i (SOL list) and I thought that the 2 years of experience is only for ENSOL? Could I fall under the General Skilled Migration - Offshore General Skilled to bypass that 2 years experience.
If you look at the 175 eligibility points test on the diac website, one of the basic eligibility requirements is "Recent work experience or two (2) year study"

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you look at the 175 eligibility points test on the diac website, one of the basic eligibility requirements is "Recent work experience or two (2) year study"

had to remove url
Hmm when I click that link, the only mention I see is this statement:
"in an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
for at least 20 hours a week
in a paid position
for at least 12 of the 24 months immediately before lodging your visa application."

I thought that meant that I needed to be employed for at least a year in my field of study.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hmm when I click that link, the only mention I see is this statement:
"in an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
for at least 20 hours a week
in a paid position
for at least 12 of the 24 months immediately before lodging your visa application."

I thought that meant that I needed to be employed for at least a year in my field of study.
ughh.. ignore me.. i'm having a moment.... your right.. I apologize.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep it simple Greg

hi greg,

I just wanted to send you a quick reply regarding moving from Canada to another country overseas. I myself lived in Ghana, West Africa for 3 years working for a pre-fab company supplying modular camps to large oil and mining companies accross Africa.

First word of advise is that your company should do most of the dirty work for you if they are supporting you. Also don't think that you have to become a permanent resident for the reasons it just makes it easier in regards to everything to do with canadian politics which could include tax reasons mostly. Are canadian gov. still expects a hefty return on your earnings even if you are outside the country working. All you should have to do to protect yourself from this silly policy is apply for non-resident status, this should shelter most of your earnings plus it keeps the other country from getting it I would think.

Anyways I understand the urge to work abroad as I did and now has been a desire of mine ever since my return to Canada. Just keep it simple brother.

Peace,

Don:plane:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

- Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts