Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I completed an online assessment for Australia states and have recevied an invitation to an Event in Edinburgh where people from the Immigration, Australian States etc will be in attendance.

My husband and I shall be attending and I am just looking for any information as to whether we need to take anything with us.

If you have attended something similar I would appreciate your feedback.

thanks

:)

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi greengait,

If you do a search I'm sure that member have been to similar shows - I seem to remember that people took their CV's (resumes as it's called over here :) ) with them to be prepared just in case.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Yep, take copies of your CV and a big bag to put in all the leaflets you'll collect!

Let us know what you think of the expo.

Dolly

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is the venue for the Edinburgh open day.

we have applied but not heard anything.

Thanks
My friend heard it advertised on Radio Forth and gave me the website, I think it was australiastates.com. You had to complete an assessment and then forward on your details. If you were successful they would send an invitation which we received by email on Monday. It is in the Caledonian Hilton Hotel, Lothian Road, Edinburgh and we have been allocated a slot between 1pm and 4pm. IT May be too late now however it is worth a try. It does state on the invitation that it must be produced on the day.

hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gutted

Hi all,

have not been on for a couple of weeks since attending the Migration Day in Edinburgh. Whilst it was all very informative unfortunatley we were not given the answers that we wanted to hear.

My husband is a telecoms engineer and because he has not worked in this profession for the past 2 years (he is now self employed) we cannot apply as a communications tradesperson which would have given us 50 points. WEveryone there pointed out that getting ajob when he gets to Australia would be a piece of cake but its just getting the visas.

I just feel as though the carpet has been pulled from our feet. As I said previously he currently runs his own contract cleaning business which is very successful with an annual turnover of approximate £170k (only trading for 2 years). so this prevents us from applying for a business visa.

What do we do now. I have thought about going back to college/Uni to complete an HNC in Business Management as I currently deal with the administrative side of the business.

Any help would be great we are at the lowest of the low just now and anythign to give us that boost to take us back to the excitement we were once feeling woudl be very much appreciated.

:(:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts