Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is a taboo subject. I was wondering if anybody had recommendations for migration agents within the UK? I've priced a few, but I'm always worried they're a bit of a scam. Most of the reviews I see are obviously fake and created by the lawyers themselves.

If anybody could point me in the direction of a decent one, I'd really appreciate it.

Alternatively, do you think I could go it alone? I mean, I am sure I'm capable of filling the forms out myself and I have collated plenty of evidence, I suppose it would just be for the peace of mind.

James

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
If your case is straight forward I don't believe you need one. Many stories of wrong information and high fees for nothing.

This forum is the real deal :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your case is straight forward I don't believe you need one. Many stories of wrong information and high fees for nothing.

This forum is the real deal :D
Thanks for the swift response. I've posted my situation a few times but it does seem fairly straight forward.

My application would be for the Unmarried Partner Visa. I meet the income requirement for the visa comfortably, my girlfriend has a Masters degree and IELTS score of 8 so she meets the English Language requirement. We don't have a great deal of financial evidence but we have held a joint lease and had a joint bank account since October of 2011. We spent a year apart for which I have Skype logs/letters/tickets for her visiting. We have about 1000 photos of us together. I've visited her family and she has visited mine. We have signed and witnessed statutory declarations of our relationship from friends.

It all seems pretty good to me. I was just wondering how I exactly provide UKBA with this evidence? Do I send the initial form and then they start asking for further details and clarification? Or do I sort of throw all the evidence I have in at the beginning?

I'd really appreciate it if you or anybody else could offer some insight :)

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
For an unmarried partner visa you have to be able to prove that you have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for 2 years with joint responsibilities like rent/mortgage, bank accounts, utilities in both names . A 1 year gap is going to be a problem. You don't need 1000s of photos and personal declarations from friends and family hold no weight and will not be considered. What you do need is strong evidence of living together for 2 consecutive years, you must show that you meet the financial requirement, have adequate accommodation and proof of relationship.

You need to gather all your supporting documents, fill out the application and Appendix 2 and it all gets sent together.

You should read up on the requirements because you may not have as strong a case as you think if you have not been living together for 2 years.

UK Border Agency | Unmarried or same-sex partner of a British citizen or settled person

Financial requirement:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...DIs/chp8-annex/section-FM-1.7.pdf?view=Binary

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
There are three basic requirements for a successful unmarried partner visa:
Finance, Accommodation and Relationship.
Financially, UKBA site tells you what your options are.
You need suitable accommodation in UK.
For relationship, you need a minimum of 2 years' continuous cohabitation, and other evidence of continuing devotion and commitment.
Basically you apply enclosing what you believe to be sufficient evidence to support it. There are some basic things everyone has to provide, plus anything that reflects your personal situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are three basic requirements for a successful unmarried partner visa:
Finance, Accommodation and Relationship.
Financially, UKBA site tells you what your options are.
You need suitable accommodation in UK.
For relationship, you need a minimum of 2 years' continuous cohabitation, and other evidence of continuing devotion and commitment.
Basically you apply enclosing what you believe to be sufficient evidence to support it. There are some basic things everyone has to provide, plus anything that reflects your personal situation.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Hmm, this has given me some trepidation. We met in Australia while we were both in University. I lived with her there for about 10 months, went back to Scotland to complete my degree and then I moved back there to live with her for a further 15 months, but I've had to move back to the UK again to work.

I'm guessing that each application is treated on its own merit, but from the looks of it, if the cohabitation is continuous, it looks like we might be in trouble :(

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Yes, the rule was changed in 2012 and cohabitation must more-or-less be continuous (except for a short break for holidays etc). Previously, breaks up to 6 months were acceptable, esp when using the visitor visa route to live in each other's country. This no longer applies to new applicants.
Marriage would get round this issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the rule was changed in 2012 and cohabitation must more-or-less be continuous (except for a short break for holidays etc). Previously, breaks up to 6 months were acceptable, esp when using the visitor visa route to live in each other's country. This no longer applies to new applicants.
Marriage would get round this issue.
Thanks for the response.

Wow, that's gonna be an awkward chat with her parents.

I suppose apart from employee sponsorship, there isn't really much else I can do :(

There was no way we could have stayed together, we were both studying for the final year of our degrees. But I think that's what the 6 month allowance was. She also visited me half way through our time apart. But I suppose it doesn't matter really.

Maybe it would be a good idea to speak to a lawyer since they might have handled a similar situation in the past. But saying that, Joppa you seem like the guru in all things British Visas so I'm sure you will have seen somebody in a similar situation to me!

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Well, since the change in rules just over a year ago, I have seen a fair few rejections for not meeting the two-year requirement. The government is really getting hot on reducing immigration and family route seems to be in the firing line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.