Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Migrating to Melbourne in 2014

Hi All,

A friend of mine has been living in Australia for quite sometime and I got to know that he has a room he can share. If anyone is looking for accommodation from the 28th of July, reach out to him.

His name is Gagan and he can be reached on 0406353903. The best time to call him would be after 10pm AEST or from 9am - 3pm AEST.

Hope this helps.

-RBang

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi All,

A friend of mine has been living in Australia for quite sometime and I got to know that he has a room he can share. If anyone is looking for accommodation from the 28th of July, reach out to him.

His name is Gagan and he can be reached on 0406353903. The best time to call him would be after 10pm AEST or from 9am - 3pm AEST.

Hope this helps.

-RBang
Hello RBang,

Would it be possible for you to pass on his email address via PM.

I am moving to Melbourne in a month and am currently trying to organize accommodation.

Cheers

Icriding

·
Registered
4 Posts
Caution with rentals in Melbourne.

some $200 / week rooms in Melbourne are worse than a room in a Bangkok slum.
Avoid furnished rooms in Footscray, Sunshine and stay away from St Kilda as that is more of a backpacker area.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Avoid furnished rooms in Footscray, Sunshine and stay away from St Kilda as that is more of a backpacker area.
Agree with you totally, sidonsoft. I should have mentioned this earlier. This property, though, is in Thornbury, near Croxton station, which is the northern part of the city.

·
Registered
639 Posts

I know that this may have been covered elsewhere.

Can anyone suggest a decent and safe suburb in Melbourne where a share room furnished apartment can be rented for around 3-6 months. Please also suggest approximate rents. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
I know that this may have been covered elsewhere.

Can anyone suggest a decent and safe suburb in Melbourne where a share room furnished apartment can be rented for around 3-6 months. Please also suggest approximate rents. Cheers.
What is your budget and how far do you want to be from the CBD?

Contrary to what someone else said earlier, St Kilda is not a bad suburb. While it is a bit of a backpacker hotspot, it's mostly professionals since it isn't really a cheap place to live.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What is your budget and how far do you want to be from the CBD?

Contrary to what someone else said earlier, St Kilda is not a bad suburb. While it is a bit of a backpacker hotspot, it's mostly professionals since it isn't really a cheap place to live.

Hello All,

A safe suburb with close proximity to shops and public transport are important considerations.

I assume that 300-400 AUD per week sounds realistic for a share room in a furnished apartment, no more than a hours distance from the CBD via public transport.

Please also mention if internet/electricity other amenities are included.

Icriding

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Hello All,

A safe suburb with close proximity to shops and public transport are important considerations.

I assume that 300-400 AUD per week sounds realistic for a share room in a furnished apartment, no more than a hours distance from the CBD via public transport.

Icriding
That's quite a lot for a share room, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a place. You can find 1 bedders for that price. I prefer to live in the inner city but most suburbs are within an hours commute of the CBD so that's a fairly large area.

I would focus on the eastern or northern parts of the city, the west is not considered to be as nice.

Have you had a look on domain.com.au or realestate.com.au to see what you can get for your budget?

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's quite a lot for a share room, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a place. You can find 1 bedders for that price. I prefer to live in the inner city but most suburbs are within an hours commute of the CBD so that's a fairly large area.

I would focus on the eastern or northern parts of the city, the west is not considered to be as nice.

Have you had a look on domain.com.au or realestate.com.au to see what you can get for your budget?
Thanks for your inputs. No not yet, I plan to fly down in the first week of September. I am just starting to look at accommodation now.

I just put in 350-450 as the upper limit. I have lived in Sydney for the past 5.5 years and have been told that Melbourne is a lot cheaper! The western suburbs are not very nice in Sydney too. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello All,

Icriding
For that much you could get a decent 2/3 bedroom house not more than 40 minutes from cbd via train.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for your inputs. No not yet, I plan to fly down in the first week of September. I am just starting to look at accommodation now.

I just put in 350-450 as the upper limit. I have lived in Sydney for the past 5.5 years and have been told that Melbourne is a lot cheaper! The western suburbs are not very nice in Sydney too. :)
I don't know why there's this misconception about western suburbs. Melbourne's west is the most rapidly growing area in whole of Victoria.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,

I am an IT professional having 9+ yrs of experience in web development. Recently i got my PR and now i am planning to migrate to either sydney or melbourne in coming march 2014.
Can anyone tell me the following :
- what is the cost of living in sydney and melbourne
- Which one has more opportunity for new immigrant like me.
- List of IT recruiter in sydney/melbourne.

Thanks,
Saurabh

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Saurabh,

I got my PR visa 189 grant on 28th Oct 2013. I am also an IT professional. I am planning to visit Australia ( Sydney or Melbourne- not decided yet doing research ). I am from Delhi. I will be moving alone. We both can be help to each other?

Regards,

Vineet

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Saurabh,

I got my PR visa 189 grant on 28th Oct 2013. I am also an IT professional. I am planning to visit Australia ( Sydney or Melbourne- not decided yet doing research ). I am from Delhi. I will be moving alone. We both can be help to each other?

Regards,

Vineet
Hi Vineet,

I am also planning around the same time,I too got my 189 on 28 oct, co-incidence??
What technology/Skills you are into?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Srikar,

Nice to see you reply and know you the visa grant the same day I got it. Buddy I am MCSE and into Networks and Systems Engineer.

I am in Delhi. Where r u located. Will you be travelling alone or with family. I am single and will be travelling alone. Any plans where we can land up out of Sydney or Melbourne.

Vineet

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Srikar,

Nice to see you reply and know you the visa grant the same day I got it. Buddy I am MCSE and into Networks and Systems Engineer.

I am in Delhi. Where r u located. Will you be travelling alone or with family. I am single and will be travelling alone. Any plans where we can land up out of Sydney or Melbourne.

Vineet
I am alone,80%Sydney,I am in to C/C++.
Have you enquired abt Networking/Sys Eng jobs in Aus?How is the market?
Did you book the tickets?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Vineet,

i am planning to visit sydney on march 23rd along with my family (my wife and daughter will return back to india after 30th march)and hopefully will start my job search from their only as i think sydney got more opportunity in IT then any other states.

if you are planning for the same , then let me know atleast we can look out for share accomodation and share the rent too.

Please let me know your thoughts about it.

my contact number : 8447588869

Thanks,
saurabh

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Saurabh,

Good to see your reply. Thanks for sharing the number and I will call you soon after Diwali. Just wanted to know have you booked your tickets for 23 March 2013. Where will you be flying from? Are you from Delhi?

I am also planning to fly in the month of March however, I haven't finalised my departure. But can plan the same date as yours because I am looking for a good mate with whom I can share accommodation and if we share we will surely save a lot on accommodation as its very expensive in Sydney.

My number is 9818853855. Save my number too.

Will talk soon in details over the phone mate.

Wish you and your family Happy Diwali.

Regards,

Vineet

1 - 20 of 134 Posts