Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! guys,

me and my husband are planning to move in ACT, and we're still in our application process and it needs the initial settlement and monthly cost of living, with this are you able to help me a rough guide for monthly expenses for couple such as : food, trasnportation, accommodation, and other necessary expences and if possible can give me the sources?

and how much is the cost for medicare in ACT? i tried to find but i can't get any answers online.

you're help is very much appreciated

looking forward

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot noobrex :) by the way how about the medicare in canberra? do you have any idea how much is the contribution per month?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
thanks a lot noobrex :) by the way how about the medicare in canberra? do you have any idea how much is the contribution per month?
medicare is free for PR. So nothing needed.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Medicare is paid via a levy in your income tax. Depending on your income, you may also pay a surcharge on top. You can get the surcharge back in your tax return if you take out eligible private health coverage.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
medicare is free for PR
People always refer to Canada as having "free healthcare". Given the income taxes we pay, it is definitely not free. Similar in Australia, we pay medicare but we may not notice it because it's included in income tax.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
People always refer to Canada as having "free healthcare". Given the income taxes we pay, it is definitely not free. Similar in Australia, we pay medicare but we may not notice it because it's included in income tax.
Exactly...in last 2 years i haven't visited doctor even once but paid $1700 as Medicare levy. One of my friend has spine issues and it will cost him $30k to operate. Nothing is free...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
medicare is free for PR. So nothing needed.[/QUOTE]

hi! noobrex,

thanks for this information. really appreciated so much!

regards :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Medicare is paid via a levy in your income tax. Depending on your income, you may also pay a surcharge on top. You can get the surcharge back in your tax return if you take out eligible private health coverage.

hi Maggie,

thanks for this very helpful information :))

appreciated much :)

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Exactly...in last 2 years i haven't visited doctor even once but paid $1700 as Medicare levy. One of my friend has spine issues and it will cost him $30k to operate. Nothing is free...
Yes, but if you're not earning anything then you don't pay the levy. Also, if in 10 years you have a coronary and need an expensive bypass surgery that would cost $100,000, you won't need to pay for it at all. This is how insurance works.

I pay monthly for home owner's insurance which protects me in case of theft or damage to my property. I gladly pay it not because I'm hoping that some day someone will rob me blind. I pay it because, in case someone actually does rob me blind, I'll be covered for it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of insurance!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts