Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I've been checking up on this forum for a while and decided it was time to register and get some feedback and input.

I have been away from Australia for 7 years now, and my wife (from Spain) and I decided the time was right to move back to Australia. We have her partner visa approved and all ready to go.

After much debate I think we've settled on Melbourne to move to, I grew up in the western suburbs of Sydney then later in the country (Wauchope). At first we'd been deciding between Sydney or Brisbane, but I think for work opportunities Brisbane probably isn't the best for us (we both are programmers). Then Sydney is so expensive and we're on the way to having a baby so with that in mind we though Melbourne would be a good place to live (unfortunately my wife isn't so keen on the colder weather :p )

Anyway I was hoping to get some help on a couple of matters.

1) What are the prerequisites to rent a house? Do you already need to have work? Or can you show you have savings in the meantime.

2) Which area would be good to check out for a places with 2 bedrooms, close to the CBD (or at least connected with public transport) and not too pricey?

Anyway, it's all exciting and a little stressful, just under 2 months to go till the big move! It'll be interesting to be back in my home country!

I'm sure I'm going to have lots more questions, but hopefully I'll be able to answer other's too!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey! I've been checking up on this forum for a while and decided it was time to register and get some feedback and input.

I have been away from Australia for 7 years now, and my wife (from Spain) and I decided the time was right to move back to Australia. We have her partner visa approved and all ready to go.

After much debate I think we've settled on Melbourne to move to, I grew up in the western suburbs of Sydney then later in the country (Wauchope). At first we'd been deciding between Sydney or Brisbane, but I think for work opportunities Brisbane probably isn't the best for us (we both are programmers). Then Sydney is so expensive and we're on the way to having a baby so with that in mind we though Melbourne would be a good place to live (unfortunately my wife isn't so keen on the colder weather :p )

Anyway I was hoping to get some help on a couple of matters.

1) What are the prerequisites to rent a house? Do you already need to have work? Or can you show you have savings in the meantime.

2) Which area would be good to check out for a places with 2 bedrooms, close to the CBD (or at least connected with public transport) and not too pricey?

Anyway, it's all exciting and a little stressful, just under 2 months to go till the big move! It'll be interesting to be back in my home country!

I'm sure I'm going to have lots more questions, but hopefully I'll be able to answer other's too!
Check out www.domain.com.au

You will find some other threads which discuss about rentals too...

All the best for your move and congratulations to you two would be parents :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out xxxxx
You will find some other threads which discuss about rentals too...

All the best for your move and congratulations to you two would be parents :)

We've been looking looking at flat prices for renting but we don't really know the good areas. We also won't have a job at first and I don't know if landlords there are really fussy about that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.