Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there my wife and I r living in NZ now and we r planing to migrate to America; we would like to know:
do we need a visa?
do we need a work visa?
or any other info which can make our plan more secure???

many thanks

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi there my wife and I r living in NZ now and we r planing to migrate to America; we would like to know:
do we need a visa?
do we need a work visa?
or any other info which can make our plan more secure???

many thanks
Yes you'll need a visa except for a tourist visit of up to 90 days.

There is no generic "work visa". Generally, visas based on your employment skills require a sponsor and are of a level requiring a degree and higher. They are not easy to obtain.

You'll have to produce a little more info than that. US immigration consists of very narrow cracks. If you fit in one fine; if not, forget it.

The basic routes are family, skills, $$$ or diversity visa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank u for the info

Thank u mate

I am a skilled shoemaker and repairer since 1983, but i am not that old though :) just 38 years old, we r having a shoe repairs shop in NZ right now. My wife has an interior design degree, Cisco networking diploma, and so many other certificates... also she is an skilled hairdresser and expert in this job. we have so many family over there. we want to sell our shop and belonging and move on...

Do u think these will help????

many thanks

Yes you'll need a visa except for a tourist visit of up to 90 days.

There is no generic "work visa". Generally, visas based on your employment skills require a sponsor and are of a level requiring a degree and higher. They are not easy to obtain.

You'll have to produce a little more info than that. US immigration consists of very narrow cracks. If you fit in one fine; if not, forget it.

The basic routes are family, skills, $$$ or diversity visa.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You're not going to be sponsored for your employment skills, I'm afraid.

Try the diversity visa, which opens this autumn @ Electronic Diversity. It's an outside chance....but a chance nevertheless.

Beyond that, moving here is going to cost you $$$ to secure status. $250k and up for the so-so visa; $500k and up for a direct green card.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thank u mate

I am a skilled shoemaker and repairer since 1983, but i am not that old though :) just 38 years old, we r having a shoe repairs shop in NZ right now. My wife has an interior design degree, Cisco networking diploma, and so many other certificates... also she is an skilled hairdresser and expert in this job. we have so many family over there. we want to sell our shop and belonging and move on...

many thanks
You mention family in the USA. What relationship are they?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moving

Thank u for the tip????

So, but what u r saying is, that not possible for us to come there anyhow??? or is not worth trying????
we r really want to go from here.... all of our immediate family are in Europe... I have my far away relative there and my wife has all her cousins there, non of us has any immediate family there.
so if we try that 90 days visa can we get extended visa over there, maybe this is the easy way??? yes??? however many thanks for the info u r the rock :)

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Thank u for the tip????

So, but what u r saying is, that not possible for us to come there anyhow??? or is not worth trying????
we r really want to go from here.... all of our immediate family are in Europe... I have my far away relative there and my wife has all her cousins there, non of us has any immediate family there.
so if we try that 90 days visa can we get extended visa over there, maybe this is the easy way??? yes??? however many thanks for the info u r the rock :)
Only you can decide what's worth trying and what isn't. You've not written anything so far that make me think you have any chance of moving to the US. The DV is your best bet so far..........if you're eligible.

The 90-day VWP cannot be extended. Visa's can only be applied for outside the country. A VWP entry cannot be changed to any other status (except immediate relative which is irrelevant in your case).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear stranger

Thank u for ur helpful advice, because we needed more info so we got an appointment with the US consular, to talk about our options. I will keep u posted if any changes happened.

chero
JH:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi there: Fatbrit is right..it's really difficult and VERY expensive and it takes a LONG time to organize everything even for those who qualify. If you do not have an immediate family member to sponsor you, you'll have great difficulty immigrating to the USA. And "sponsoring" means taking legal and financial responsibility for the "sponsoree", so it's not likely that will happen. Go to www.uscis.gov for immigration info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts