Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi am from ireland I would like some advice about applying for australian visa. I have a road traffic conviction(not to serious) from when I was living in spain about 6 years ago, I need to know will this stop me getting a visa to live and work in australia. And if I chose not to declare this to the Australian fed. police is it possible they could find out anyway. I dont have convictions in any other country.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Mick,

Welcome to the forum.

As part of the visa process you have to provide a police check so I would have thought that the road traffic conviction would show up on there.

The character requirements are here:
Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 79. The Character Requirement

Personally I think you'll be okay if it's a simple traffic conviction and not a criminal conviction.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Yes, you should be OK. It's only if you've had a custodial sentence that it would be an issue.

And do declare it, if it comes up in the check and you haven't mentioned it, you can wave goodbye to getting your visa!

Dolly

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Mick, Yes you definately need to declare it as it will come up in the police check. My hubbie had a conviction when he was in his youth and i think anything that goes to court and is a conviction will come up as it is on your police record. We never declared it as to be honest he had forgotton all about it, but when the check came back it was on there. We then had to fill in another form and explain it in detail. It never stopped us getting the visa and it was just a minor offence, but best to declare it......ellisa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts