Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Mexico gardening

3K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  Zorro2017 
#1 ·
After hijacking another thread it appears that several members here like to garden, even if it is in pots on a balcony or a window. Mexico has great opportunities for gardening because of the variety of unusual and beautiful plants. Even if you don't have a yard there is always room to grow something to add a little color to your home. A lot of plants need shade or indirect light and will die in the full sun. English Ivy grows great indoors or in the shade and is called a "telephone plant" in our area, not telephono, but telephone.

[/URL]

Also, pottery is so cheap here. We find really big pots for 150 pesos. I like Terra Cotta because even though it is baked hard it is still porous so you can see from the color if it is retaining water. I'm no chemist but logic suggests that if a pot can absorb water it will also release a little water back into the soil when you are gone for a few days. You can see the amount of water in these different pots.

[/URL]

What are you growing?

See less See more
#2 ·
Another bonus is fresh herbs. In the states we could buy fresh basil but not here so we are growing it. Traveling south along 180 when you pass Coasta Esmeralda you will see "La Mancha" an ecopark. Actually it is just a beach with a cove and tables along the beach. Before the beach there is an Italian restaurant, the owner is actually from Rome. We sat outside and placed our order. The cook came out and plucked some leaves off of a potted plant and we asked whet it was, "basil" she said.

So we have planted some and it is coming along well in just a few weeks.

#4 ·
Also, pottery is so cheap here. We find really big pots for 150 pesos. I like Terra Cotta because even though it is baked hard it is still porous so you can see from the color if it is retaining water. I'm no chemist but logic suggests that if a pot can absorb water it will also release a little water back into the soil when you are gone for a few days. You can see the amount of water in these different pots.
First off - your links are not working very well... (for me anyway)

Whenever we get new terra cotta clay pots I paint them inside and out with red
impermeabilizante.

#5 ·
My wife often goes out and plucks herbs from the garden while cooking. She also has some various chilis as well.

What are we growing ? Let's see : Blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries, pink and white grapefruit, pomegranates (granadas), mangos, limes, lemons, navel oranges, tangerines, juice oranges, pepper, guava, plums, peaches, avocados. We have 4 types of palms, perhaps 30 or so cacti, perhaps 40 or so orchids, ferns, assorted other flowering trees, a huge poinciana. It all adds up to a lot of work. (We do not have a particularly large property).

#6 ·
Horseshoe, were most of your fruit trees and bushes already on your property when you bought, or did you plant them? If the latter, where specifically did you purchase them? (Since we are in the same neck of the woods, this info is pertinent to me.) I'm familiar with some viveros around Yautepec, including the eponymous "Vivero Yautepec". Also, if you planted them, how long from planting to fruit-bearing for the various fruits? I really look forward to the day when I just go out to my yard to get my morning grapefruit, berries, etc. Thanks!

#21 ·
Well I solved the picture problem, Photobucket no longer allows you to link to your photos unless you pay $400.00 per year. This is huge as literally millions of pictures on thousands of forums and how to sites no longer appear. I was hoping we could share some pictures of our gardens and plants.

Limes grow well here, they are everywhere. Our caretaker planted a papaya tree that was really producing but my wife hated where it was so I dug it up and tried to transplant it in the back yard but it didn't survive the move. Mangoes drop on the road here on the way home and bananas are everywhere, we have two on our land.

I will continue to explore the photo thing with alternatives.

#28 ·
I'm sorry about the size of the picture, I'm still working on it. I can't even delete those two so if they are burning up too much bandwidth please delete them.

One more try.

#30 · (Edited)
OK, this forum's own photo uploading feature works great, it resizes the pictures automatically. This is what I was saying about terra cotta pots holding water and showing how wet the soil is. If you want to paint the pots they need to be sealed on the inside to keep the water from seeping in and bubbling up the paint. These all grow well in the shade such as our porch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.