Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Mexican wine

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  chicois8 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Good news for Mexico and for wine-drinking ex-pats:

From Mexico News Daily | Saturday, May 27, 2017

Mexican wineries submitted 18 wines to the Brussels World Wine Competition and came home with 18 medals, six of them gold.
Good for Mexico. I'm not a wine connoisseur, even though I grew up near the Napa Valley-- I prefer beer-- but I'll have an occasional glass. Mexican wine has come a long way in the last 30 years, when they started with some swill from the Guadalupe Valley near Ensenada. Anything better was always imported from Spain or Chile. Now, not only is far better wine produced in Baja, but in other regions like Querétaro.
It would also be a great idea to get the Mexican olive oil industry off the ground. Perfect growing climate, increasing international demand, yet nearly all is imported from Italy or Spain.

#9 ·
Does that mean Mexican wines are taxed at a 15% higher rate than imported wines? Pretty strange...I checked my Chedraui receipt. Both Mexican and Chilean wines were taxed at 26.50%. Beer, 16%. Maybe some tax was added into the price of the Mexican wine? I'll ask.

#5 ·
I do not know right now but when I sold wine to Mexico, Spain and other Latin American wines did not have the same import duties as the wines from the rest of the world.. It is why wines from Chile and , Argentina and Spain were good values ..
Just saying that if I am going to buy wine here I am going to buy good values, Quality versus price, I really do not care why the price is what it is...

#7 ·
I do not care for any of the Mexican low end wines.. just do not like them. I think some of the higher end can be nice but they are not good value .
The wines that win medals are not necessarily the one that I enjoy the most. Being French I want the wine to go nucely with food not overwhelm it and many of the wines that win competition stand out in blind tastings but are not what I am looking for for drinking with my meals..
I nver drink by itself.. I am not the one who enjoys a "nice glass of wine" by itself so they are not for me.

#19 ·
Economics.. Spain did not encouraged actually I heard they banned growing olives as they did not want Mexico to produce olive oil that would compete against them.. They made wines for masses but they really did not encourage its production either..

The only place where I saw ancient olive trees planted by the friars as they came in is Tzintzuntzan , Michoacan. Those trees are magnificent and as they have bee treateed recently they escaped a certain death from a plague.. Thank God because they are something to see..
If you have not seen those trees they are worth a detour..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.