Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Steve, noticed your thread was closed but wanted to let you know that we are another Australian family who moved from Dubai to Cyprus in September last year - what a great move it has been! The immigration process was a little different for us being non-EU as we had to get it sorted before our 3 mth tourist visa expired and a few other bits and pieces, but on the whole they were very helpful. The cost of living is generally similar to Australia (we were back there in july/august), Dubai and Europe. It's not cheap and lot of Cypriots we know still shake their heads when they're talking about how the cost of living has risen here since the Euro replaced the CYP 2 yrs ago.
We are in the Paphos area also (in a village near Tsada) and have 2 girls 10 & 12 yrs old that go to the International school. If you have anymore queries I'd be happy to try and answer them for you from a southern hemisphere perspective. As you can see some people can't help themselves by posting useless, annoying messages, but there a lot of us that are more than willing to share in anyway that's helpful. Good luck will your move, Cyprus is a magical place to live - you'll be very pleased you made the move I think.:)

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Hi Steve, noticed your thread was closed but wanted to let you know that we are another Australian family who moved from Dubai to Cyprus in September last year - what a great move it has been! The immigration process was a little different for us being non-EU as we had to get it sorted before our 3 mth tourist visa expired and a few other bits and pieces, but on the whole they were very helpful. The cost of living is generally similar to Australia (we were back there in july/august), Dubai and Europe. It's not cheap and lot of Cypriots we know still shake their heads when they're talking about how the cost of living has risen here since the Euro replaced the CYP 2 yrs ago.
We are in the Paphos area also (in a village near Tsada) and have 2 girls 10 & 12 yrs old that go to the International school. If you have anymore queries I'd be happy to try and answer them for you from a southern hemisphere perspective. As you can see some people can't help themselves by posting useless, annoying messages, but there a lot of us that are more than willing to share in anyway that's helpful. Good luck will your move, Cyprus is a magical place to live - you'll be very pleased you made the move I think.:)
Thank you for that post snowbunny. I am sure that Steve will find it very helpful hearing it from the view of another Aussie.

Veronica

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that post snowbunny. I am sure that Steve will find it very helpful hearing it from the view of another Aussie.

Veronica
Thanks Veronica, I was meaning to reply before the thread was closed but I forgot my login info & it's taken me a week to get myself sorted :confused2:!! That'll teach me to be slack - I've written it all down now so I won't forget it again. Hopefully Steve will still be surfing the forum!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi again Found you!

Great comments we talk the same talk.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Snowbunny,

Thanks so much for the post. I hadn't been able to get internet for the past week - I've been on holidays in Coffin Bay, SA, and caught no fish. It's been way too hot - 43 degrees for the past 2 days! Good to see that there is another Aussie in the Paphos area. We have let a house near Peyia and we fly out on the 18th of Feb. I'm starting to stress out a bit now - 2 weeks ago I broke my hand at the gym and so I'm struggling (one handed) to finish my renovations on time :eek:

What's the International School like? We're seriously considering sending our kids to a public school so they can [out of necessity] learn the language and immerse themselves in the culture, but it would be great to get your perspective on how Cypriot education compares to the Australian system. When we move we should get our families together for a BBQ, or a meze or whatever - I'll bring some Vegemite with me...lol.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.