Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of moving to the Merida coastline. Not really into living in the tourist areas, like Cancun etc.
I have heard great things about Merida, but I'd rather live near the ocean.

Telchac seems a little pricy, Progreso and vicinity seem ok but I'm not sure what that area will look like in 10 years. I liked Sisal. Wherever I go I'm not sure I'd get the first row (on the beach).

Anybody here know about this coast?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm also curious about the area as my father would like to move out there. In his youth he went to Quintana Roo several times and really liked it. I'm thinking that it's probably fairly expensive (in Mexican standards) to live out there. I don't know if Merida is a little easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I always believed that Merida is well inland. It's not on a coast. Google Maps show the coast at Progreso to be about 60 kilometers from Mérida. https://goo.gl/maps/Xd2yN6C9rCq

My Google Maps shows from Centro Merida to Progresso 38KM or 22miles.

There are many small towns along the gulf coast from Sisal to the West of Progreso to Dzilan de Bravo to East of Progreso. Maybe get a hotel in Progreso and explore the area if looking for a place to retire...My favorite town in the area is San Felipe very near Rio Lagartos....link below

The Ria Lagartos Biosphere Reserve

·
Registered
46 Posts
I noticed this article within the last couple days :

Tourism Secretariat seeks investors for 16 tourism projects

It reminded me of Fonatur (Cancun, Huatulco etc).

Someone with vision might be able to anticipate that the areas mentioned are about to blossom.
They haven't lined up the usual investors from the Cámara de Diputados or the Senado? What's this country coming to? The state Governors seem to have a pretty good cash flow also. Where's "El *****" Durazo when you need him.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always believed that Merida is well inland. It's not on a coast. Google Maps show the coast at Progreso to be about 60 kilometers from Mérida. https://goo.gl/maps/Xd2yN6C9rCq
Sorry about the confusion, I used Merida as a placeholder. I'm thinking in airport terms.

Puerto Progreso is 30 minutes from Merida, Sisal is 40 minutes. From my perspective, that is less than it takes to get from my house to SFO, or from Cancun airport to the vicinity of Playa del Carmen.

I might be jumping the gun, but I see this as part of Merida. Here's why, Merida had 800K people in 2010, they are shooting for 2 million in 2020. At that rate, the coast will be suburban Merida to a population of 4 million in 2030.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Google Maps shows from Centro Merida to Progresso 38KM or 22miles.

There are many small towns along the gulf coast from Sisal to the West of Progreso to Dzilan de Bravo to East of Progreso. Maybe get a hotel in Progreso and explore the area if looking for a place to retire...My favorite town in the area is San Felipe very near Rio Lagartos....link below

The Ria Lagartos Biosphere Reserve
I'm thiking of renting a place. I like Sisal, never been there. The problem (and good thing) about Sisal is that it is cut off. I read about San Felipe as well. This is good information.
Do you live down there?

I want to be close to Merida, I think San Felipe is over an hour away?
thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed this article within the last couple days :

Tourism Secretariat seeks investors for 16 tourism projects

It reminded me of Fonatur (Cancun, Huatulco etc).

Someone with vision might be able to anticipate that the areas mentioned are about to blossom.
I worked in Cancun in 1977, in 1978 I enrolled in college in Mexico City, studied administracion de empresas turisticas, I worked with Fonatur for a summer. Personally I see this area as a area that will grow. Hopefully the state of Yucatan will not screw things up as much as Quintana Roo.
I found a really good study on the area, it's in Spanish, I can dig it up if you want. I think they are shooting for the eco-tourism side. My plan is to buy something that has limited growth in the area. Then there is climate change and ever stronger storms which may dissuade big investors. Plus the mess with things getting a little too corrupt on the RIvera Maya side, might affect demand.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm also curious about the area as my father would like to move out there. In his youth he went to Quintana Roo several times and really liked it. I'm thinking that it's probably fairly expensive (in Mexican standards) to live out there. I don't know if Merida is a little easier on the wallet.
If you don't adjust it's more expensive. If you adjust, it's cheaper.
You have to change eating habits, live like the locals.
When you go to tourist areas, there is a large infrastructure that magically brings goods, internet etc. In my mind Quintana Roo is international tourist area.

The Merida coastline (It's actually called the Yucatan coast) gets a lot of people from Merida in the summer, a lot have beach houses, or rent. So it is mostly an area that is a local tourist area and fishing area.

I have never been there (except when I was 12 years old), so anybody feel free to correct me. ;) In part that is why Im here

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I'm thiking of renting a place. I like Sisal, never been there. The problem (and good thing) about Sisal is that it is cut off.

Yes, there is only one way in or out of Sisal, could mean not a lot of people so less crowded or only one escape route in case of Hurricane........

Pocho, without ever being there what do you like about it? I found it kind of blah..

No I looked at Merida and surrounding area for a retirement home but decided on a small town just north of Puerto Vallarta, jungle surrounds me.

·
Registered
700 Posts
For me - living on the gulf coast is not anything like living on an ocean. For many years we lived on the Atlantic coast of Florida. We have traveled (just about every road) from Cancun to Xcalak. I have been to Puerto Barrios (too many times), San Pedro Sula ... We spent some time in Texas and ran off to South Padre Island as often as we could. Just doesn't compare to true blue water.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
I'm also curious about the area as my father would like to move out there. In his youth he went to Quintana Roo several times and really liked it.

If your father spent time in QR in his youth, he probably wouldn't recognize the place now, for better or for worse!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, there is only one way in or out of Sisal, could mean not a lot of people so less crowded or only one escape route in case of Hurricane........

Pocho, without ever being there what do you like about it? I found it kind of blah..

No I looked at Merida and surrounding area for a retirement home but decided on a small town just north of Puerto Vallarta, jungle surrounds me.
I like that Merida was declared the safest city in Mexio (or something along that line). Some of the central and northern states are Narco States. I think that area will become like Cuernavaca was to Mexico City.
I was looking at different areas and sent an email to a buddy of mine who knows Veracruz, Campeche well. My friend recommended Merida. In fact he likes it so much that he is moving there in a year.
I've got another good friend in Cancun and it;s a 3.5 hour drive.
I like that it's close to a natural preserve, property will increase in value. They also put a University campus there.

I had read about Progreso first, then researched up to Telchac, but I'm on a budget and it seems pricier and further from Merida.

I'm not dead set, it's just that on paper it seems like my best bet.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Pocho writes: ""I like that Merida was declared the safest city in Mexio ""

Have you heard of Los Zetas ?
Rumor has it that most of the parents of its members have been re-located to Merida.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pocho writes: ""I like that Merida was declared the safest city in Mexio ""

Have you heard of Los Zetas ?
Rumor has it that most of the parents of its members have been re-located to Merida.
That is good information, thank you! ;)

The Zetas are the primos of Javier....

Federal Judical police call signs started with J or Javier. Mexican slang for Judicial Federal is Javier.
After the US helped train a paramilitary police force, members of that unit took on the letter Z. The commander's call sign was Zeta 1. At one point they started business for themselves.

It would make sense that the people with the most money would send their parents to the safest town. It's kind of a neutral zone because there is little cartel activity. If I were a Zeta I'd either send my parents to a "neutral town" or one that I had the most control in. Problem with the later is they don't want their "madrecitas santas" to witness their brutality.

IMHO it's better to send them to "Disneyland" (Merida).

As you can see I have a mexican sense of humor.
;)

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Merida is indeed a beautiful city with a lot to see and a lot of places to shop, which is important. The coast is close enough for a day trip but as has been said, there will be sacrifices there. Small coastal villages are charming but lacking in things you may want or need. We love the Poza Rica area just for the atmosphere, but there are no large supermarkets, hardware stores and even internet is spotty if available. Even finding something as simple as diet drinks will simply not be available. Merida has a large open market, clean streets and modern technology without losing the old world appeal. We went there and liked it, why not have the best of both worlds if you like this area? Live in the city and visit the coast?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Fox,

Very nice reply thank you. It got my head thinking. Originally I thought about the Golfo area, after deciding that Salina Cruz was too isolated. It's a shorter drive to the border on the gulf side.

I had asked my friend Roberto about the Gulf states .He said Merida and was leaving CDMX next year lo migrate there. He has since hooked back up with a girlfriend from Costa Rica, and may now think Costa Rica. Roberto is like a brother to me and I'd have a place to crash in Merida. Also in the established middle class from Merida escape the heat and rent places on the beach. If you are in the right area on the coast, you can become friends with people in Merida who you otherwise would of meet socially. It's a way to sneak in the social circles.

Another thing about Merida is that people are very nice and polite to visitors, they just don;t like people who move in. I'm not sure about this, nor do I remember who told me. There is a BIG difference between people from "provincia" and "chilangos", since they do not share the same values.

I'm getting divorced and my boys are 17 and 19 and I want to make it easy and cheap for them to fly in. Going back to Merida, Roberto said you ucan buy a house for $70 K. It all reminds me of GUadalajara 30 years ago, a lot of people migrated from CDMX for a better life only to have it become similar to CDMX

My grandmother was from Tampico and I'd go there to pend summers, I remember Poza Rica as one of the last towns before crossing the Panuco river when taking the bus from DF. Another town on the way is Tuxpan.

How do you like the area?

Diet sodas? Try making your own Jamaica! I'm pre diabetic and you don't have to sweeten it up a whole bunch. Make a concentrate and freeze it.

Internet, I've thought about extending coverage I can haul data over wireless for 2-3 kms given a line of sight. Might be a business if I can find a remote area with people needing it and a way to resell\extend bandwidth. I also think that I could get a place in town and on the coast and rent out the coastal area in summer and winter. I'm still thinking...

once again thanks for the post and the pictures

1 - 20 of 84 Posts