Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything i've read about Merida is the HEAT. Im guessing everybody has the A/C on 24 hours a day. Is the electric rates lower than the US? what is the average electric bill in Merida? (US dollars) Is the electricity dependable?

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
Everything i've read about Merida is the HEAT. Im guessing everybody has the A/C on 24 hours a day. Is the electric rates lower than the US? what is the average electric bill in Merida? (US dollars) Is the electricity dependable?
Electricity is cheap in Mexico if you only use a small amount and very expensive if you use a lot. I have heard of monthly bills that varied from $5 usd/month (about what I pay) to many hundreds of dollars a month for someone with A/C, a heated pool or electric heating.

Dependability depends on where you are. My electricity can be completely reliable for months at a time, but sometimes fails daily for periods of varying lengths. It has never been off for more than half a day. For awhile recently, brownouts were common with the voltage dropping to around 60-80 volts.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Most people in Merida do not have central A/C.. they usually have A/C or swamp coolers in the bedrooms and they have fans. The electricity in hot and humid areas is subsidized.. electricity can be very cheap or very expensive, the more you use and the higher the rate from the first KWH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts