Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! We're looking to relocate to Australia, Melbourne specifically, and I really need some help with where to live? We want to live within 30-40 minutes train ride in and ideally want a property with a fair sized plot - any suggestions? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - we'd spend around 1.6-2million. I know this may sound a lot but from what I can see on real estate sites, the houses are on small plots. I also don't want to have neighbors literally on my doorstep but space for privacy. We'd love a nice suburb about 50mins max into the business district but one that is not too built up? Am I asking too much??? ::(. Also, I've just seen some posts on another website about crime in Melbourne? Is it bad? Are there really parts that you'd get your windows smashed in by 'yobs' if you stopped? Seriously not sure if it's the right thing to do. We have a wonderful life where we are but I've always heard such good things about Aus and have loved my holidays there. Thanks for your help. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I assume it's A$ and not Dhs that you're talking.

$2M is a decent enough budget to afford you a 4-5 bed house within 25-35 minute train ride into the CBD on a block size between 700-1000 m2.

Look for houses on realestate.com.au in the following suburbs

Kew, Balwyn North (unfortunately no train service from both Kew and Balwyn), Camberwell, Glen Iris, Malvern East.

Camberwell is especially nice as many of the block sizes are large, serviced by 4 train stations as well as trams; green leafy streets, lots of parks/reserves and very good schools.

I'm sure there are more suburbs that I'm not aware of and perhaps others here could give you some pointers.

We've lived here for over 3 years and I've never felt any less safe from our days in Dubai (16 years!). If anything, our quality of life is vastly superior to that in Dubai.

We bought our own place recently, so if you need any specific information then feel free to send me a pm.

Reactions: anj1976

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
1.5-2mil is big money. you will find something good anywehre, look at the suburbs on the train line towards the east or south east.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey! Thanks so much for your responses. Bbay2Oz - Camberwell looks really promising! I think we'd have to up our budget slightly to get the all important pool (hubby is obsessed with having one). I have quite a few more questions so I will send you a PM if you really don't mind? I'll get a list together and email them over later.

In the meantime, does anyone know if CBD is far from Camberwell in a taxi - is not, roughly do you know how much it costs?

I am aware that the houses are quite close together in the popular suburbs - I've had really bad experiences with neighbours in the past (parties, screaming kids, DIY in the middle of the night). Generally, are suburbs relatively quiet at night time? Don't mean to sound like a whinging pom, but I do like my peace and quiet every now and consider myself a really respecful neighbour. It drives me cray if I am sitting in my garden reading having to listen to the radio on loud from the neighbours......

Finally, I am really worried about schools. I'd probably send my kids to private schooling but I note that the kids start a year later in Oz? My son who is four is reading and writing and I am worried about him having to 're-do' is first year at school? My daughter is 11, very academic, and is due to start UK high school in September - does high school start at 11 or 12 or does it depend on what school? Schooling is a MAJOR MAJOR factor in any decision we take and I've already upset the kids by taking them to Dubai where the schooling, we found, to be a real let-down.

Thanks for all your help and sorry if my questions seem dumb!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Don't worry - ask as many questions as you like :)

To get an estimate of taxi fares try this link : Taxi Fare Calculator - Estimate your taxi fare

From Camberwell (it is a big suburb, so will give you the fare from our place to CBD -around $20).

I can tell you that I personally found the quality of education far superior in Melbourne than Dubai (the main reason for our move was the kids education). Both my children are much happier here than they were in Dubai. My youngest used to detest school in Dubai whereas here she really looks forward to school! And like yours, my oldest is academically gifted (and unlike in Dubai she is pushed to her limits and is thriving). There are excellent selective state schools to cater to gifted children (from Year 9).

As regards school age and other info - try this:
Enrolling in Primary School - Choosing and Enrolling in School - At School 5-18 - Department of Education and Early Childhood Development

and

Transition to Primary and Secondary School - Preparing for School - At School 5-18 - Department of Education and Early Childhood Development

Camberwell Primary is a state school and is a French-Eng bilingual school. It is rated amongst the top 5% of all schools in VIC.

As regards your concerns about noise - I can only hear the crickets(they are pretty noisy but you get used to it...lol) at night and the mad chirping of birds in the morning. I hardly hear my neighbours. As long as you don't live on a main road you should be fine. Our neighbourhood is really quiet :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some of the nice areas that I vaguely remember are Murrumbeena (I stayed there), Camberwell, Kew, Brighton, Windsor, Balaclava, Sandown, Glen Iris, Balwyn North and Doncaster.

Prajwal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.