Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

Just wondered if anyone has any opinions on the following areas in Melbourne. We need to be closish to Melbourne Uni. A friend has recommended Carlton, Hawthorne, St Kilda, Richmond, Brunswick, Fitzroy and just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about those areas!

Thanks

LP xx

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hiya

Just wondered if anyone has any opinions on the following areas in Melbourne. We need to be closish to Melbourne Uni. A friend has recommended Carlton, Hawthorne, St Kilda, Richmond, Brunswick, Fitzroy and just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about those areas!

Thanks

LP xx
Do you want to be within walking distance to the Uni? Carlton would be one of the closest neighborhoods on the eastern side of the Uni. If you like Italian food, you will be close by Lygon street which is a little Italian district with lots of good restaurants, cafes and outdoor dining.

On the west side of Uni is Parkville which is where the hospitals are and also I was told this is where some public housing is.

South of the Uni you have the area by Victoria Market which would be great if you enjoy buying all your foods fresh at the market. To the west of the market you have North & West Melbourne, which are up and coming, but somewhat industrial still. The docklands ae also out in that direction, which is more expensive but modern, with great shops and restaurants.

St Kilda would be more of a commute to school as it is on the opposite side of town. and richmond is farther out to the east of the city, but still doable.

Take a look at google maps and see whats around there. Also look at the Google Maps Street View, to give you an idea of what the neighborhoods look like.

Mat

·
Registered
13 Posts
which suburb is nice for IT professional (South East Asian Couple)? I prefer close to Westfields and 40 Mins ride train to City Center (where most of the IT Company locate), rent rate around A$300 per week (anytype)

Just to get information, coz I've plan to choose Melbourne for future plan :D :)

Share your experience and knowledge will be great helpful

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
which suburb is nice for IT professional (South East Asian Couple)? I prefer close to Westfields and 40 Mins ride train to City Center (where most of the IT Company locate), rent rate around A$300 per week (anytype)

Just to get information, coz I've plan to choose Melbourne for future plan :D :)

Share your experience and knowledge will be great helpful

Thanks in advance
if u r looking for "suburb is nice for IT professional " & "South East Asian Couple" then u can also look for Box Hill surburb as an option...u have to commute 40 mins to reach the city central...but thru Connex(train), tram, busses its well connected

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can live anywhere within 45mins of Melbourne as long as you are on the tram ot connex train line you will be fine, whether a suburb is a good place to live is apersonal preference and very difficult for someone else to judge, there is good and bad in every suburb and the closer you go to the city the more expensive it is, I think for 300 dollars a week you won't get a good rental near the city, you prob need 4-500 a week for that but choose either pay for it in transport costs to work or pay for it in rent its up to you.If you have a job get a letter from your employer stating the length of your visa ie mine was 457 so she stated on the reference that I am a highly skilled midwife wilth impeccable references and that she planned to employ me for a minimum of 4 yrs, I think thats what swung it with the estate agents and bear in mind that the landlords here decide who rents their house not the estate agents, so on the application form sell yourself, provide written references and follow upin a few days if you haven't heard anything, have your bond(= to one months rent ) and your first months rent easily accessible

Good Luck all, you will get there in the end Jabba

·
Registered
13 Posts
nice advice as well, for me is just beginning to apply 175 visa, and think about to apply Victoria 176, that is why I've plan to get as much as information from MELBOURNE, thanks to all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts