Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I came to Melbourne for visa validation trip for my child. I'll be here for next 15 days. I'm looking for local(Melbourne) information during my stay.

Localites, I really appreciate sharing the local information.

1. Indian grocery in CBD /surroundings? accessible thru public transport?
2. Are there any dollar store networks here in Australia/Melbourne (like Dollar tree in US)
3. Are there any value pizza shops (similar to Little Ceasers network in US)
4. Food courts (Indian, Chinese foods) in Melbourne

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,

I came to Melbourne for visa validation trip for my child. I'll be here for next 15 days. I'm looking for local(Melbourne) information during my stay.

Localites, I really appreciate sharing the local information.

1. Indian grocery in CBD /surroundings? accessible thru public transport?
2. Are there any dollar store networks here in Australia/Melbourne (like Dollar tree in US)
3. Are there any value pizza shops (similar to Little Ceasers network in US)
4. Food courts (Indian, Chinese foods) in Melbourne

Thanks in advance
1. I can think of two, one right opposite street to Southern cross station (between little collins and Collins Street). 96,86 trams will get you there. Get down at southern cross stop 1.
Another in Russel Street/Lonsdale street towards swanson street, this one is next to Seri and ramenprofessional.
2. Not many dollar stores. Big W , Coles and Woolworths would be your go to shops.
3. Dominos and Pizza hut are the only chains i can think of. But not as common as in the US. Checkout delivery hero app.
4. Food courts in QV mall ,Melbourne Central and Crown. Most of the malls have foodcourts.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You can also checkout KMART and DHAISO for some cheap stuff.

Reactions: auzee_bujji

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
1. I can think of two, one right opposite street to Southern cross station (between little collins and Collins Street). 96,86 trams will get you there. Get down at southern cross stop 1.
Another in Russel Street/Lonsdale street towards swanson street, this one is next to Seri and ramenprofessional.
2. Not many dollar stores. Big W , Coles and Woolworths would be your go to shops.
3. Dominos and Pizza hut are the only chains i can think of. But not as common as in the US. Checkout delivery hero app.
4. Food courts in QV mall ,Melbourne Central and Crown. Most of the malls have foodcourts.
Actually I think there are quite a few dollar stores (they call them two dollar shops here) that sell cheap housewares and things of that nature. Most shopping centres have at least one and you often see them on main retail strips. And Daiso as someone else mentioned has pretty cheap (less than $3) stuff too. And there's also the Reject Shop (chain), there's one on Bourke St I think.

The food courts in QV and Melbourne Central are crap. The one at the top floor of Emporium is the best in the city. If you're looking for cheap eats, there are heaps in the CBD - Om Vegetarian on Elizabeth has vegetarian curry for less than $7. Crossways on Swanston is maybe an extra $1 more (I think it's cheaper if you're unemployed or a student). Don't just stick to chain restaurants and food courts - Melbourne has plenty of cheap and reasonably priced eats if you dig a bit deeper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts