Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I moved from Beijing to Marseille last month. And just recovered from a bad cold. The weather is so fickle here. You can travel between winter and summer in the same day!
I am new here and would like very much to meet new friends. We can have coffee, lunch or go shopping, after work or in weekends... My french is very limited, but English is quite fluent. Still it was really hard to communicate with the doctor:)

You are welcome to contact me through here <snip>
Looking forward to hear from you!

Best wishes,
Sherry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And by the way, does anyone know any place to learn french after work or in weekends? e.g. organization or school. thank you!

·
Administrator
51,551 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
The AVF in Marseille has quite a few activities for working people and they have a pretty strong online presence, too. Bienvenue ! - AVF Marseille - Association d'accueil des nouveaux arrivants sur Marseille They may well have information about French classes - and should at least have some sort of French conversation group for newcomers where you can get a little practice in.
Cheers,
Bev

Hi Bev,

As far as you know are there also similar organisations for ex-pats in Aix en Provence, or as Marseille is the larger local town would I be looking at French conversation group for newcomers there?

·
Administrator
51,551 Posts
Hi Bev,

As far as you know are there also similar organisations for ex-pats in Aix en Provence, or as Marseille is the larger local town would I be looking at French conversation group for newcomers there?
AVF is not an expat group, but rather a "newcomers" group for all folks new to a given town or region. That said, Aix does have an AVF avfaixenprovence - AVF Aix en Provence It depends a bit on the size of the group and the local demographics whether any given AVF will have a French conversation group or not, but it pays to ask.

Aix is prime expat territory, though, and you should have no difficulty finding expat groups in the area. Ask at the local mairie or look for information at the local cultural center or other gathering spot.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
30 Posts
AVF is not an expat group, but rather a "newcomers" group for all folks new to a given town or region. That said, Aix does have an AVF avfaixenprovence - AVF Aix en Provence It depends a bit on the size of the group and the local demographics whether any given AVF will have a French conversation group or not, but it pays to ask.

Aix is prime expat territory, though, and you should have no difficulty finding expat groups in the area. Ask at the local mairie or look for information at the local cultural center or other gathering spot.
Cheers,
Bev

Hi Bev,

Many thanks for this. It's reassuring to know that Aix is popular for ex-pats and that it also maintains a very strong cultural heritage. I'll check the link that you sent to see what I can source.

We can't wait for our property purchase to complete in around 4 weeks time :)

Lloyd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course, nice to meet you Kari!
I would really appreciate if you could give a little introduction about you. You can send me private message if you do not want to public your info:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello

Hello Kari,

Sorry for the late reply. I saw your message, but I can not reply in the same way. There are some controls in this forum I guess.
First, congratulations!!! I am really really happy for you. Be a happy bride:). We seem to share a lot of interests. When you have time, we can take a coffee and go shopping together, I think you have a long shopping list...

best wishes,
Sherry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.