Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am moving to the UK in June. We believe we have met all other requirements to get my wife a spouse visa. But we will not have a place to live or a lease agreement at the time of the application. We will hunt for a rental house when we arrive in the UK. How do we prove we can rent corporate housing or otherwise meet the accommodation requirement without a lease agreement in place?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
What most people do is to share accommodation with a family member or relative with spare rooms.
While prospective rental is considered by Home Office, you need more than just a snapshot of rental ads. Because it's difficult to get anything concrete without actually entering into a rental agreement, most people opt to share with relatives.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What most people do is to share accommodation with a family member or relative with spare rooms.
While prospective rental is considered by Home Office, you need more than just a snapshot of rental ads. Because it's difficult to get anything concrete without actually entering into a rental agreement, most people opt to share with relatives.
What if I were to have a reservation for a furnished apartment in Bristol for my arrival date? This might be where we stay anyway while we house hunt.

It may sound strange, but I have an odd relationship with my father and stepmother, and I'd rather leave them out of the equation, even though it's quite likely we'll be staying with them for a few weeks anyway.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Keep your personal feeling out of it. It's a purely business relationship. If you are going to stay with them in any case, it makes sense to formalise it to meet the accommodation requirement.
You can have a furnished apartment as temporary accommodation, but it will cost you a lot of money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.