Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the info re. Medicare not paying doctors fees in the Philippines.
Is there something like private insurance for family with a child?
Thanks
John

·
Registered
405 Posts
Your Filipino wife, if she has an income, can apply for and get PhilHealth. It won't pay all but will help with any hospitalization needed. You and the child would be covered.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
Does that also work if her income is from her own business? Would they also cover normal GP bills and/or scripts?
John

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Thanks
Does that also work if her income is from her own business? Would they also cover normal GP bills and/or scripts?
John
Short answer is no. In fact, except for things like cataract surgery, PhilHealth will not pay anything unless the person is an "in-patient" at a hospital for a minimum of 24 hours.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
My wife is not working right now, she pays her own premiums directly to Phil Health and we are covered.
Correct; a person does not have to be employed to be on PhilHealth. As long as a Filipino joins and makes the required payments there is coverage and he or she can add dependents on that policy as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Short answer is no. In fact, except for things like cataract surgery, PhilHealth will not pay anything unless the person is an "in-patient" at a hospital for a minimum of 24 hours.
OK, so I would need a private health insurance then, any idea about them? I have never heard/seen anything about them.

Thanks
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts