Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to ask question about health inurance in Australlia for persons having PR.

I have diabetes (fasting 114, Random Sampling 135). I have heared that for medical clearnace for going Australlia diabetes will not an issue and they will not test diabetes. I am worrying about Health insurance in Australlia for Diabetes Patients. If I apply for medicare health insurance after landing in australia then will it create an issue. I mean can Midicare refuse to give health insurance if any person have diabetes? If so then what will be other options. ( because i heared that health insrance is must in Australlia)

I am also thinking to not decalare diabetes while getting Helath insurance. because I shall go there without breakfast and in that case diabetes will be normal. Please also tell whether Medicare or other Health Insurance companies will perform Medical before giving health insurance card/Number?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi smr_ksr,

oh, they do test for diabetes but aas long as your diabetes is stable and you don't have any end-organ damage it won't be a problem. See: Panel Members Instructions

Private health insurance is not a "must" but the Australian government tries to encourage more people to take private health insurance. Certain services (dental, ambulance in some states etc.) are not covered by Medicare. Also note that it is a co-paying system, so some costs (part of description medicines, "gap" towards what the doctor bills) will need to be covered by you.

I'd recommend to browse the websites of Australian diabetes groups such as Diabetes Australia. You should be eligible for the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) which allows you to access a range of subsidised Government approved products (free insulin syringes and pen-needles etc.).

If you decide to get private health insurance, note that most insurance companies won't cover per-existing conditions for the first 12 months.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you For your reply. What you think about medicare? I mean will Medicare will create any issue if I have diabetes. I mean can medicare refuse to give Health insurance if any person has diabetes?. Further can please tell me about employers? Can any employer( IT Industry) refuse to hire any person who have diabetes?

Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts