Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is Medicare applicable for people who have the GSM 475 VISA (State Sponsored) ?

Please note I am have been granted the GSM 475 visa.

Thanks
Nasif

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any help guys??

·
Registered
278 Posts
A straight NO for 475 :). Get insurance cover. Further, social sec. help is also not available on this visa. Rest is OK.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Unless your country provides Australians with free medication like Sweden, Ireland, New Zealand and etc than No.
Australian system will treat others same as their country will treat Australians, thru agreements or not

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Unfortunately you will not be eligible for Medicare...
475 Visa

Medicare

Generally, temporary visa holders do not have access to Medicare. Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa holders from countries with which Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement will have restricted access to Medicare. People without access to Medicare are responsible for all health costs incurred in Australia. For this reason, it is highly recommended that you arrange suitable private health insurance. You may be able to lodge your application for private health insurance before you arrive in Australia. However, you should also be aware that health funds impose a waiting period before a contributor is eligible for some health fund benefits and pre–existing health conditions may not be covered.

Hi,

Is Medicare applicable for people who have the GSM 475 VISA (State Sponsored) ?

Please note I am have been granted the GSM 475 visa.

Thanks
Nasif

·
Registered
26 Posts
lifeisgood said:
Unfortunately you will not be eligible for Medicare...
475 Visa

Medicare

Generally, temporary visa holders do not have access to Medicare. Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa holders from countries with which Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement will have restricted access to Medicare. People without access to Medicare are responsible for all health costs incurred in Australia. For this reason, it is highly recommended that you arrange suitable private health insurance. You may be able to lodge your application for private health insurance before you arrive in Australia. However, you should also be aware that health funds impose a waiting period before a contributor is eligible for some health fund benefits and pre–existing health conditions may not be covered.
Hi I have been told that I have to get health insurance. I have been looking at three companies Bupa, medibank and nib anyone used either of these or can recommend any other companies, it is for a 475 visa for Darwin.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Why dont you get insurance from Australia itself?

Hi I have been told that I have to get health insurance. I have been looking at three companies Bupa, medibank and nib anyone used either of these or can recommend any other companies, it is for a 475 visa for Darwin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
lifeisgood said:
Why dont you get insurance from Australia itself?
Hi yeah that's what I am trying to do, the three I mentioned are based in Australia. I have been told To use on of them as I need a letter from the insurers to get the 457 visa.

·
Registered
346 Posts
All health insurance providers are pretty much the same when it comes to customer service. I was with Medibank and NIB and both are fantastic. Great service and fast rebates. Medibank has a large network of approved doctors and "extras" providers. So you pay no or small out of pocket amount. NIB has a network of dental and eye centers with same benefits.
So it narrows to what YOU are looking for really. You can compare them here www.iselect.com.au

·
Registered
26 Posts
naoto said:
All health insurance providers are pretty much the same when it comes to customer service. I was with Medibank and NIB and both are fantastic. Great service and fast rebates. Medibank has a large network of approved doctors and "extras" providers. So you pay no or small out of pocket amount. NIB has a network of dental and eye centers with same benefits.
So it narrows to what YOU are looking for really. You can compare them here www.iselect.com.au
That's great thanks. Do you know whether or not I need to start paying for my insurance before I get to Australia in order for me to my 457 visa., or can it be arranged to be activated from a certain date, when I arrive there. It just seems like a waste of money to pay for it while still in Ireland. One other thing would you recommend getting health insurance for the whole family permanently or is Medicare public health good enough.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what would be my best option for Private Health Insurance? Any suggestion? I would like cover the most of the benefits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.