Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
we have been looking through some old posts and just wondered if anyone could help us with understanding medicals...:confused:does family history come in to it in a big way, ie could it stop us emigrating, even if at the time of the medical we are and always have been well.....?
reason i ask is because on my oh side, his family are mostly well but his father died of a heart attack at only 45 ish , life style was bad ie smoker etc and even though my other halfs life style is totaly diff (non smoker/drinker, healthy lifestyle) he suffers high blood pressure which is under controll with medication.:)

aslo my mother died in july this year, she had cancer throughout and tumors in her brain, she was only 57 and had a very short illness (7 wks from getting ill)
she was a smoker,(had been since 11 years old and of course thats what the hosp blamed) also my grand mother and grandfather died due to cancer on my mums side,.....
however both other sides of our parents and their family are fit healthy and living to a ripe old age..!
do i need to be concerned?
we are both non smokers (always have been) and have had no serious illness( touch wood !) to date.:confused:
any info appreciated, thanks
Claire

·
Registered
315 Posts
No way, only the persons migrating over will have their health scrutinized.

My father ate and smoked himself to death. Didn't affect my applications for PR anywhere.

·
Registered
541 Posts
claireanddaz......

First of all Thanks for not SMOKING. Keep it up to save that precious life.

Medical not going to effect for family backgrounds.
Issues will occur for diseases like Aids , Heparates B , TB etc....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi peeps

oh thats great news! i was getting a bit worried, we look after ourselves but, yeah my parents and his didn't,
also
do you know if our age will affect visa? as far as i understood you have till your 45 to get to where your going... were 33 now and it will be a good 3 years before we can sell the house (ex council) and get the qualls we need and a friend mentioned that you loose points the older you get towards the 45 mark....?
we have to wait till that time so we can bring the money we will have made on the house, to invest, we should be in quite a good position if it all goes according to plan....lol:D
thanks for your help in advance
regards claire

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
yes the older u get, the lesser points you get.. have you taken a point test? why do you want to wait and apply? you can always go after 2 years after getting the visa and validating it by going there for a holiday. the rules are changing every second day.. and as you said you are 33, waiting for 3 more years to apply might just get you less points thn what is required.
its best to apply now, there is anyways a 2-3 year waiting period for the visa (for non csl skills). its not that if you apply today, u get the visa in a few months. (how i wish that was the case :) )
anyway, as everyone commented, family history doesnt matter, as long as you dont have TB, HIV+ or Hepetitis. Wish you luck

if you are stuck somewehre, feel free to give us a shout.. we have some of the most amazing contributing members.

cheers
anj

·
Registered
84 Posts
condolences to you, your 'family history' suggests a tough time for you both.

Having just had our medicals in the UK I can confirm that they barely check your own history let alone your family history, they are only bothered about your health on the day. I had taken vaccination records and reports on my husbands recent operation and they weren't interested in either.

you will lose 5 points in the point test when you turn 35, as long as you lodge the application by the day before the main applicants 35th birthday (Australian time) you will get those extra points - and it can make all the difference

good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all and thanks for the responses, the info on here is unbeatable!
The reason we have to wait
1) we bought our council home 2 yrs ago at a snip and cannot sell for 5 yrs after buying (3more to go) unless we sell back to the council at the price we paid... and we wont make the money we need to come out....

"2) my o h job at the moment is not on the skills list (delivery driver for a haulage company)
or me as a nail technician so we both need to retrain to be on the skills list, were at the beggining of a very long path that i hope will get us where we want to be, i will do anything
i can to achieve this, so any advise on careers to retrain for would be great....

( was looking in to midwifery and he in to tiling,through a experienced based company who can also qualify him..... bit up in the air at the moment, again any help would be great)

thanks elh for the reply, its one thing i can stop stressing about!

claire

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Claire,

have you thought of going the student route? you can go on a student visa, the spouse and kids (if any) can follow. one who is on student visa can work part time (20 hrs a week) and the spouse can work full time. You can take up a course which is in demand and is expected to be on SOL for a while. Once you are done with your study, you can apply for PR.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi
thanks for that,
no i hadnt thought of it, im still up in the air with all the visa info, had just thought of going straight down the skilled visa route.
No doubt we will end up going through an agent and i suppose they will advise,
i dont care how, i just want to get there:D, but i figure its best to get o h to gather the qualls needed to be able to provide for us when we get there, dont want to end up struggling when we get there by having crappy jobs like we do over here.
im a nail technician and hes a driver / deliverer, big trucks etc. we do ok here as we are entitled to child tax credits ( two kids) and other benefits as our son has high functioning autism and i know we will leave all these behind so we need well paid jobs when we get there, theres so much to think about im going gaa gaa, not only are we considering changing countries but also carreer paths too!
thank god for the info on this forum!:clap2:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Claire,

Just a thought, when you do choose to do retraining, check on the SOL if 'x' amount of years experience isn't needed, otherwise you'll have to add that onto the time it will take you to finish retraining. And if push comes to shove, can you rent out your house.

Anj has a good point about the student visa, it would mean you could work full time (no limitations on working hours) as soon as your OH starts his course. http://www.immi.gov.au/students/students/chooser/

And lastly, condolences on your recent bereavements.....it must have been a really tough time for you.

Dolly

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dolly for the thread, ill look in to it,

Darren was thinking wall and floor tiling as hes done it before and has quite a bit of exp but he is not currently working in that trade.
ive emailed a S/A trade registering company ( a link i got through the forum) and the kind woman emailed straight back saying that no formal qualifications were needed in S/A as they would assess through your skills, not sure if she meant for a job or for the visa...:confused:

im pinning a lot on the immi agent getting in touch at some point this month, im hoping they can tell us what to do lol. we were going to go with four corners before i found this forum...:rolleyes:

t b h things are very up in the air at the moment, weve done a lot of homework on things but not really sure where we go with the visa because of our predicument, but we want it sooo much ill give it everything ive got:boxing:

and yes, the situation with my mum was a very difficult period, bless her shes missed so much and i know she is watching down on us, thanks for your kind comments x

ill go take a look, see if i can find out more about tiling exp...
take care
claire:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts