Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hopefully someone can help me I am a British citizen/Canadian Citizen I am in canada but I am wanting to move to the uk the one concern I have is medical coverage. Do I qualify for medical coverage? is it like canada you pay a small fee monthly for your family and you can see a doctor or go to a hospital anytime and it does not cost anything? If someone could tell me what is involved and the cost as well.
Thank you

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hello hopefully someone can help me I am a British citizen/Canadian Citizen I am in canada but I am wanting to move to the uk the one concern I have is medical coverage. Do I qualify for medical coverage? is it like canada you pay a small fee monthly for your family and you can see a doctor or go to a hospital anytime and it does not cost anything? If someone could tell me what is involved and the cost as well.
Thank you
Yes you will qualify for coverage under the NHS (National Health Service). Treatment is free for citizens at point of use. The NHS is funded by the (mandatory) monthly National Insurance contributions made by both employers and employees (which are currently 12% for most people).

You can of course also elect to have private medical insurance, which would entitle you to the services offered by the growing number of private medical establishments.

Note that prescription charges in England are currently £7.65 per prescription, whereas they are free in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

teuchter

·
Registered
39,085 Posts
You will be eligible for National Health Service coverage when you move to UK.
It's non-contributory, almost entirely financed by taxation. The only thing you pay for is prescription, currently £7.65 per item (you can get a season ticket to cut costs if you have chronic conditions), and dental teatment (fixed fees). If you are referred by your GP, hospital consultations, investigations and operations are also free.

Just register with a GP (general practitioner or family doctor) when you arrive. Show your British passport and proof of address such as rental agreement or utility bill.

When you start working, you will start contributing to National Insurance, which earns you entitlement to pension and certain benefits such as unemployment. It really is a form of taxation (you have no choice whether to pay) so it all goes to the government coffers from which NHS is funded, but you don't have to pay National Insurance in order to be eligible for NHS. A lot of non-working people like children, elderly and disabled get free NHS care too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.