Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the VAF4A form, 6.17 it asks "have you ever received medical treatment in the UK?

When my Fiance was visiting me here in the UK from Russia she had a very sore throat and she went to the Minor Injuries unit of a local NHS hospital where she saw a doctor for a consultation about her throat and was prescribed some anti-biotics. She paid for the anti-biotics at the local pharmacy and was fine in a couple of days?

Does this mean she puts YES to question 6.17 on the form?

And then at Q 6.18 asks if she paid for treatment?

Does "treatment" mean the doctor's consultation?...or...does treatment mean antibiotics?
In my mind "treatment" means the medicine to treat. Therefore she would put YES to question 6.18.

These questions seem to be poorly worded in my opinion.
Could anyone clarify what we should be putting for this please?

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts
On the VAF4A form, 6.17 it asks "have you ever received medical treatment in the UK?

When my Fiance was visiting me here in the UK from Russia she had a very sore throat and she went to the Minor Injuries unit of a local NHS hospital where she saw a doctor for a consultation about her throat and was prescribed some anti-biotics. She paid for the anti-biotics at the local pharmacy and was fine in a couple of days?

Does this mean she puts YES to question 6.17 on the form?
Yes.

And then at Q 6.18 asks if she paid for treatment?

Does "treatment" mean the doctor's consultation?...or...does treatment mean antibiotics?
In my mind "treatment" means the medicine to treat. Therefore she would put YES to question 6.18.
Yes she will need to arrange to pay for the services other than the prescription. Everyone pays for prescriptions. Treatment means being seen by the doctor. Seeing an NHS doctor is not free for someone on a visit visa. A tourist can only receive emergency treatment administered in an A & E without charge. Other than that, a tourist has to pay for any treatment received from the NHS. She will need to contact the hospital and ask to be billed and pay the bill. It's her responsibility and she needs to insist that she be billed. They are not setup for billing which is why she wasn't asked for payment when treated.

It is really important that she gets this sorted. Not paying for NHS services could cause the visa to be refused.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke to NHS direct on the phone, and the lady was shocked at how honest I was. I will receive a phone call with advice about this within 24 hours she said. Will post info up for anyone else that this may apply to.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke to NHS Direct. They could not help directly but said I need to speak to someone at the hospital's cash office. They said normally if you are eligible for payment that billing would be discussed. I distinctly remember mentioning to the doctor that she was a Russian citizen but nothing was said at the time.
Nothing is ever easy. :-(

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The latest...
Just got another phone call back from NHS Direct (very efficient) Complex Health Information and Medicines Enquiry Service at 10pm and was told that this type of consultation is free of charge because it was at a Minor Injuries Unit of an NHS hospital.
She went on to say that in this instance the only time billing would occur would be if this overseas visitor was actually admitted (overnight stay) and then discharged.

This may affect others so I will provide a link where this info is clarified:
Advice for overseas visitors - The NHS in England - NHS Choices

And I have pasted text here which answers the same...

Hospital services

Hospital treatment is free to ‘ordinary residents’ of the UK. But if you are visiting the UK – to stay with family, on business, as a tourist, or if you are living here without proper permission – then you are likely to be charged by an NHS hospital for the treatment it gives you. Not paying this charge may have an effect on any future immigration application you make and you risk being turned down.
Some services or treatments carried out in an NHS hospital are exempt from charges, so that they are free to all overseas visitors.
UK hospitals will treat you for most infectious diseases, including sexually transmitted infections (STIs) free of charge, to limit the spread of those diseases. Also read the common health questions about infections.
If you are taken to A&E (accident and emergency department), a minor injuries unit or walk-in centre for emergency treatment then this is free of charge. However, if you are admitted to hospital for any other emergency treatment a charge may be incurred. You should not go to A&E for non-emergencies, but see a GP instead.
Compulsory psychiatric treatment, treatment imposed by a court order and family planning services are also free of charge. Note that neither maternity treatment, nor terminations of pregnancies are classed as family planning services.

Hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Nyclon. I went to the hospital this morning before work and the lady at the cash office said she can confirm that the treatment was indeed free, but said she could not write a letter. Instead she gave me an NHS Cambridgeshire number to contact. I rang them and spoke briefly and explained the complex situation; they said that they would call me back soon to discuss the matter further with someone who could actually help. Still waiting to hear back. I'm wondering if my fiance explains the situation in the blank box which proceeds this medical question on the form, and also showing the name/type of NHS medical centre it is will suffice?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello,
you need to get a writing note from the NHS to support your spouse application because similar thing happened to me before my spouse visa was issued in june 2013. the ECO requested for more additional information from me....'EVIDENCE OF PAYMENT OF NHS TREATMENT IN THE UK".
my spouse spoke with the NHS office and a letter was issued to us and i posted the letter to sheffield the following day and my spouse visa was issued.
please, make sure you have a writing letter from the NHS as a proof before supporting your application....
all the bst.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spoke to NHS department called Patient Advice and Liasion Service, and they assured me that (also via a secondary discussion with their finance dept.) that there is nothing to worry about and they confirmed that this hospital unit we visited was a no charge service. They also assured me that a written letter (with NHS letterhead) will be sent to my fiance via email to confirm this. They were actually very helpful when I spoke to the right person. She also said that if my fiance did not receive this letter by Monday, to call her direct number and she will attend to it. That level of service is rare these days.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Signifi,
great to hear about the latest development.......all the best
Thank you kindly. My fiance plans to apply this week, so I may put up a list of our docs to make sure we have everything in order, just to be sure? I notice this is a great place to do this as it seems to give good peace of mind.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After 3 days of waiting still nothing from the NHS. Was told the letter would be done Friday and it's now Tuesday. Apparently the person who needs to write the letter is also treating patients!!! Don't know what to do! Have rang same lady twice a day every day and she cannot get this person to do it for us! Very frustrating.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: Was assured today that a new NHS manager (one not so busy and who will not be treating patients) had been assigned to write this letter and we will receive tomorrow. I would have thought that for this question in the VAF4A forms that the UKBA would have a list of NHS hospitals and Minor Injuries Units which offer treatment free of charge to visitors? Seems very strange?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Signifi - A similar question: during my first visit to the UK (2008) I was treated at a hospital for strep throat. There was an ATM in the hospital, so I withdrew GBP and paid cash for the treatment and antibiotic. Therefore the answers to the VAF4 questions 6.17 and 6.18 would be "yes". I will state that I paid in cash for the treatment on the application, however since it was 5 years ago, I cannot find the receipt from the hospital. From your interaction with the Patient Advice and Liasion Service, is this who I would contact to substantiate what I've said on the application is true? Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NHS nightmare continues. Now found out need two letters from two different departments and I have spent so much money on mobile phone calls to speak to the correct people in various departments. If we had any idea how much trouble this would cause I'm sure she would have chosen to never seek treatment. This has been almost a week now of phone calls back and forth to the NHS and different departments, and still no letters of support. Crazy system.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've just read this and now I'm panicking! My husband was visiting me and had to go to A&E because of an irregular heart beat which was related to a separate condition. He was not admitted and just checked by the doctor on duty. Is heart rate stabilised and we left just with the advice to come back if anything else occurred. He informed them that he was here a visitor and was not asked to pay a fee.

Will I need a letter for this? How will we get it in time before he applies?

thanks,
KHP

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.