Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just arrived in Cyprus and will be here on a permanent basis. Now that Form S1 is no longer available via the NHS for those under 65 (my wife and I are 62 and both retired), does anybody have any advice or suggestions on how to obtain the medical requirements needed when applying for residency status. I have been to the immigration office in Larnaca and they will not accept EHIC cards as proof of medical cover. I don't particularly want to go down the private medical insurance route but if I have to, does anyone have or know a good company/broker in the Larnaca area for medical insurance.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Now that Form S1 is no longer available via the NHS for those under 65 (my wife and I are 62 and both retired), does anybody have any advice or suggestions on how to obtain the medical requirements needed when applying for residency status.
Welcome to the Forum!

This has been discussed numerous times before, so a little research of previous threads can pay dividends. Unfortunately I can't help with insurance companies in Larnaca, but here is some general background information:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/cy...cyprus/665386-healthcare-getting-started.html

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/cy...s-living-cyprus/776217-medical-insurance.html

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Just arrived in Cyprus and will be here on a permanent basis. Now that Form S1 is no longer available via the NHS for those under 65 (my wife and I are 62 and both retired), does anybody have any advice or suggestions on how to obtain the medical requirements needed when applying for residency status. I have been to the immigration office in Larnaca and they will not accept EHIC cards as proof of medical cover. I don't particularly want to go down the private medical insurance route but if I have to, does anyone have or know a good company/broker in the Larnaca area for medical insurance.
The fact that they refuse the EHIC is as it should be. The day you get permission to stay the UK EHIC card is not valid anymore. You should then get a Cypprus EHIC.

You will need private insurance until one of you get state pension

·
Registered
307 Posts
The fact that they refuse the EHIC is as it should be. The day you get permission to stay the UK EHIC card is not valid anymore. You should then get a Cypprus EHIC.

You will need private insurance until one of you get state pension
Anders,

Where do you go to get the Cyprus EIHC from and what paperwork do you need to show?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

This has been discussed numerous times before, so a little research of previous threads can pay dividends. Unfortunately I can't help with insurance companies in Larnaca, but here is some general background information:

Thanks for the welcome. I have now looked at previous threads and have now asked for quotes from a couple of the medical insurance providers in/around Larnaca.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Anders,

Where do you go to get the Cyprus EIHC from and what paperwork do you need to show?

Thanks
I went to Citizen Service. I dont remember what paperwork, but because they have you in the system that you have a medical card, I think that is enough

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I don't think you can get a Cyprus ehic unless you are working and paying contributions .
If you receive a UK state pension you become entitled to healthcare here and can register for this via the Citizen's Advice Office. You then receive a further form, I can't remember the number offhand, from the UK which can be taken to the CAO. They process and return this one to the UK who then issues the EHIC card directly to you.

Pete

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Correct. So how does an early retiree, resident in Cyprus and who has surrendered their UK issued EHIC access emergency treatment anywhere in the EU?
You have private insurance I assume. Does it not cover other EU countries?

You can always access it, question is what it will cost.

For me the interesting question is how does a private insured pay for treatments that is not covered because of pre-conditions? Heart surgery is not cheap, or a bypass f.ex.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You have private insurance I assume. Does it not cover other EU countries?

You can always access it, question is what it will cost.
Yes, we have private health insurance, which gives us cover abroad, but that's a separate issue, as whether we have private health or travel insurance or not, we are entitled to emergency healthcare in the EU at the same level as a local. However, in order to access this emergency treatment in Cyprus we need to show an EHIC. This is the card which the NHS would have us believe that we should surrender and because we don't pay into the social fund, Cyprus would not issue.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Yes, we have private health insurance, which gives us cover abroad, but that's a separate issue, as whether we have private health or travel insurance or not, we are entitled to emergency healthcare in the EU at the same level as a local. However, in order to access this emergency treatment in Cyprus we need to show an EHIC. This is the card which the NHS would have us believe that we should surrender and because we don't pay into the social fund, Cyprus would not issue.
But Cyprus cant issue an EHIC because you don't pay into the system. I am sure it is the same in all EU countries

·
Registered
976 Posts
But Cyprus cant issue an EHIC because you don't pay into the system. I am sure it is the same in all EU countries
Yes Anders, I know.

I am trying to illustrate the anomaly that according to the NHS site given by Madcow, anyone planning to live in Cyprus should surrender their EHIC. Once in Cyprus, unless paying into the social fund, that person cannot be issued an EHIC by Cyprus. The net result is that they will not have an EHIC when travelling to another EEA country.

Bottom line? If you have a valid and in-date UK issued EHIC you are not going to easily just surrender it!

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Yes Anders, I know.

I am trying to illustrate the anomaly that according to the NHS site given by Madcow, anyone planning to live in Cyprus should surrender their EHIC. Once in Cyprus, unless paying into the social fund, that person cannot be issued an EHIC by Cyprus. The net result is that they will not have an EHIC when travelling to another EEA country.

Bottom line? If you have a valid and in-date UK issued EHIC you are not going to easily just surrender it!
I understand what you mean but still I think it is quite normal that you either pay in to the health insurance and get an EHIC, or use your private insurance. Totally normal in My book.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I understand what you mean but still I think it is quite normal that you either pay in to the health insurance and get an EHIC, or use your private insurance. Totally normal in My book.
that sounds reasonable,
but what is supposed to happen if a person is in a car accident & goes or is taken to hospital for EMERGENCY TREATMENT does the injured person need any paperwork to enable his injury to be seen to ?:confused:

·
Banned
403 Posts
Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) lets you get state healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes free. It will cover you for treatment that is needed to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return. It also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care, as long as you're not going abroad to give birth".

Source:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcare ... tries.aspx

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
When my previous EHIC expired last year I had to send to the UK for a new one. The rules have changed and you get it from your home country. It does not however cover you for treatment here but you need it if you travel anywhere else abroad or to the UK.
If I remember rightly I got a form from the citizens centre in Paphos and I had to send that to the UK. The citizens centre gave me the address I had to send it to.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts