Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled out a registration form to register with a GP a few weeks ago. I contacted them today to make an appointment so I can get more prescription medication. The registration form I had filled out only asked about previous UK doctors (I didn't previously have a doctor in the UK since I didn't live here before) It didn't seem to be an issue when I handed in the form and that receptionist didn't say anything about previous medical records or anything. But the receptionist I spoke to today seemed to be a bit funny about it.

Do I need to get my previous medical records transferred? Is that something the GP surgery here can sort out or do I have to? I don't even know how to go about such a thing (I hope it wouldn't require me flying back to Canada to do if I do have to sort it!) Am I not going to be written a new presciption without previous medical records? I do have the box with prescribing information on it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I asked my doctor here in the US how transfer of medical records would be managed, and she said that I would be provided with a paper copy to carry over. I can't speak for the rules in other countries, but the US has very strict medical privacy records, and the request for the transfer of records has to come from the patient or their authorised representative. It likely has to be in writing.

As an aside, I've read that people's medications sometimes get changed when they get to the UK, because some drugs available in the US are not available in the UK, and more importantly, some medications are available in the UK are not available in the US. There is also a difference in medical thinking, for better or for worse.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Normally in your position, medical record doesn't need to be transferred, and you start with a blank sheet. Sometimes your UK GP will want to see you and discuss your medication before filling in prescriptions, while others are just happy to issue repeat prescription based on what you've been taking.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It makes me think that asking my US doctor for a letter summarising my health record might be better...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I came over with a summary printout from my doctor. It listed chronic conditions, major previous conditions, medications and a timeline of procedures.

I could also get copies of recent test results (available online).

Two weeks before coming over I had lithotripsy under general anesthesia for a large kidney stone. My urologist gave me a CD with the original CT that diagnosed the problem (unexplained pain episodes) and the follow-up X-ray. There's a possibility of a small residual stone and they wanted to make future diagnosis easier if I have an additional problem.

I would imagine most of this would be unnecessary for younger people with a far less complex medical history.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Salix, that sounds ideal. Glad the kidney stone is gone!

It sounds as though information related to any medical conditions and associated medications, and major medical events in the past are worth documenting as you describe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.