Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my convocation for my medical to get my certificat d'aptitude it says I have to take with me my carnet de vaccination and all my medical documents. Do you think it will matter if I turn up empty handed? All I can offer is my recent AZ card and if they're looking for a history of every vaccination since I was born, they won't be impressed by one measly AstraZeneca jab.
I have had a couple of mammos in France but the pictures are in Normandy and I'm not so I can't take those, and I literally don't have anything else. I never needed to go to a doctor or hospital in France and I can't remember when last time I went in the UK was, I think probably about 25 years ago. (I'm not big on consulting doctors!) The most interesting thing I've ever had is a core biopsy, which my CAT tool translates as microbiopsie, would anyone disagree with that translation, in case they want to know about it?

Another matter I would welcome creative suggestions on is, I need to take a "sample". And I can't think what to put it in. As it happens I finished off a plastic bottle of orange juice today but they might be surprised if I present them with a litre bottle! but other than that I just don't have any suitable receptacles that I can think of. I travelled light and I'm being very minimalist with possessions.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Well for the second part, you just have to ask in a pharmacy for a sterile pot for a urine analysis and they usually provide them with no questions. If necessary say you have to have an ECBU (examen cytologique et batériologique des urines).

As for your medical records, you can only tell them that you had the usual vaccinations and that you have been in good health. Jot down any events with dates that you can remember and they should be happy with that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On my convocation for my medical to get my certificat d'aptitude it says I have to take with me my carnet de vaccination and all my medical documents. Do you think it will matter if I turn up empty handed? All I can offer is my recent AZ card and if they're looking for a history of every vaccination since I was born, they won't be impressed by one measly AstraZeneca jab.
I have had a couple of mammos in France but the pictures are in Normandy and I'm not so I can't take those, and I literally don't have anything else. I never needed to go to a doctor or hospital in France and I can't remember when last time I went in the UK was, I think probably about 25 years ago. (I'm not big on consulting doctors!) The most interesting thing I've ever had is a core biopsy, which my CAT tool translates as microbiopsie, would anyone disagree with that translation, in case they want to know about it?

Another matter I would welcome creative suggestions on is, I need to take a "sample". And I can't think what to put it in. As it happens I finished off a plastic bottle of orange juice today but they might be surprised if I present them with a litre bottle! but other than that I just don't have any suitable receptacles that I can think of. I travelled light and I'm being very minimalist with possessions.
I'd be surprised if the lack of a vaccination booklet caused problems, I've had several in the past but wouldn't know where to find them now if asked. Ditto for medical documents, knowing that they are mostly kept on computer these days. Just take along your recent AstraZeneca receipt (I've kept mine), and mention that you've always been one of the healthiest people alive - and still are.
I'd advise that you don't even mention your core biopsy, if questioned further that could easily open up an unnecessary can of worms. And yes, your 'microbiopsie' has a far better ring than biopsie par forage......
As for a sample receptacle, nothing comes readily to mind, except perhaps an empty small jar of Marmite.:oops: You guessed it, I hate the stuff! I believe a pharmacy near you would probably give you a correct receptacle free of charge.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Sorry but peeing into orange juice bottles or marmite jars is no good, it has to be a sterile container and I doubt that they will accept anything else..

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
I don't know of anyone who actually has a carnet of vaccinations. The one vaccination I got here (tetanus, I think it was) I got a vaccination card for - only for tetanus shots, not anything else and that has gone missing in and among all the junk in my office.

It used to be the "custom" here that the patient kept all their own records and hauled their folder or box with all of that with them to every doctor appointment. (My husband still has a folder, but he has pared it way down in the last several years.) I generally went in empty handed to the "work doctor" appointments - though here they give you a large paper cup to pee in and they do whatever test they do right there after you pass them the cup through the little portal in the bathroom wall. (The work doctor here sets up in a large camper.) It's basically a superficial exam, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have no idea what a core biopsy is, but if you wanted to declare it, I suspect they would be more interested in the outcome rather than the biopsy itself.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry but peeing into orange juice bottles or marmite jars is no good, it has to be a sterile container and I doubt that they will accept anything else..
Oops, well they're out of luck then because I don't have another jour de repos before the medical and there isn't a chemist close by that I can get to. If they wanted me to have a sterile container, they should have sent me one...

Edit - no a plan has formed. Hopefully I will go past a chemist on my way to the appointment. If I do I can ask for a container and fill it there and then, nice and fresh.
(Should maybe add that I'll be in my campervan, I'm not planning on squatting by the roadside)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
There is no shortage of pharmacies in France but in case you don't see one a laboratory for analyses médicales would do too.
And if you turn up without the required sample I am sure they will provide you with a container, just be sure that you are able to fill it....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts