Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone , finally living my dream and will moving to paphos on 23rd July 2015 , I've checked the previous stickies but can you help with medical insurance , what is the minimum you need to in order to have medical insurance and can you advise some companies to me , I'm 50 , good health apart from a slipped disc , thanks for your help

·
Registered
976 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi David , thanks for the reply , I have had a look at the link , it's s bit of minefield , do you take out private insurance or just go to the hospital if something arises ?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi David , thanks for the reply , I have had a look at the link , it's s bit of minefield , do you take out private insurance or just go to the hospital if something arises ?
Hi gasman,

When you first come over, make sure that you have EHICs with you as they will give you initial cover (officially for up to 90 days, although many expats don't declare that they have stayed over 90 days and they are not asked by the hospitals here). You also have 90 days (3 months) before you must apply for residency, and proof of medical cover is a pre-requisite for this process. Again, some expats don't bother with immigration, but they are breaking the law.

A UK State pensioner is entitled to state funded healthcare here using the NHS Form S1, which immigration will accept. This will also cover their spouse as a dependant, even if they are not actually in receipt of the UK State pension. As you are under the State pension age, you will need to have proof of private medical insurance for immigration. Please note that the EHIC will not be accepted by immigration as medical cover.

Some companies, knowing this, offer a very basic cheap policy which is accepted by immigration, but will be useless if you need to call on it. They will not even ask for policyholders to go for a medical, as they know that the terms of the policy are unlikely to pay out. Take out one of these policies at you peril. Some expats also take out medical insurance policies, use the certificate of cover to get through immigration then cancel the policy. Once again, I would advise you to stay clear of such ideas. Although you are healthy now, you may not always find that is the case, and medical fees for some procedures can be very expensive if you have to fund it from savings or income.

Decent policies are available (with the limitations stated in the other thread which I signposted) and you can get an idea of costs from the Atlantic Insurance website:

Atlantic Insurance Company ? One of the leading General Insurance Companies in Cyprus

You can also get quotes from Abbeygate:

Abbeygate Insurance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts