Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've accepted the job and am now going through the visa process to get my 457 visa.

One of the requirements is that we prove we will have adequate medical insurance from the moment we arrive. There is a letter which needs to be filled in by the insurance company.

Medical insurance is a bit new to me thanks to the good old NHS.

I've looked on the internet and there are many companies which provide the cover. Can anyone give me an idiots guide on getting the right cover? Also the sites I've looked at require an Australian bank account which I don't have yet.

Finally can anyone tell me about pre-existing conditions which require regular medication.

Thanks for you help.

Stuart

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You need to get something called 'Overseas Visitor Cover'. There are about 6 companies in AU that provide it. They send you a letter once you join (you can change the start date before it commences).

Do a search on the forum for this cover, some of the posting have links.

Hi

I've accepted the job and am now going through the visa process to get my 457 visa.

One of the requirements is that we prove we will have adequate medical insurance from the moment we arrive. There is a letter which needs to be filled in by the insurance company.

Medical insurance is a bit new to me thanks to the good old NHS.

I've looked on the internet and there are many companies which provide the cover. Can anyone give me an idiots guide on getting the right cover? Also the sites I've looked at require an Australian bank account which I don't have yet.

Finally can anyone tell me about pre-existing conditions which require regular medication.

Thanks for you help.

Stuart

·
Registered
24 Posts
My advisor (a well respected one) told me that we only need to have evidence of travel insurance when we lodge the 457 application. Upon arrival in Oz, we must enroll for Medicare or some other insurance. Not sure if that's an option for you as well, we might be different cases.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
AU has reciprocal agreements with some countries (UK and NL are on that list). So it gives some cover but is not equivalent to NHS.

So to be fully covered you probably need a combination of private insurance and Medicare.

More info here:
Visitors to Australia - United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Malta and Italy - Medicare Australia

A 457 is a temp visa (so essentially a visitor visa with work rights).

My advisor (a well respected one) told me that we only need to have evidence of travel insurance when we lodge the 457 application. Upon arrival in Oz, we must enroll for Medicare or some other insurance. Not sure if that's an option for you as well, we might be different cases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts