Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one taken the medical test for a Spanish Driving licence renewal recently? If so, can you tell me what I will have to do and what documents I need to take? Will I be informed by letter that I must go for an appointment or must I go to the centre to arrange it? I believe that my nearest centre is Pego, Alicante. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Has any one taken the medical test for a Spanish Driving licence renewal recently? If so, can you tell me what I will have to do and what documents I need to take? Will I be informed by letter that I must go for an appointment or must I go to the centre to arrange it? I believe that my nearest centre is Pego, Alicante. Thanks for any help.
My husband has to do his next week. You have to make an appointment at the centre, they seem to have been privatised here in the Balearics. Take everything as usual in Spain, last year he needed his green residencia form and his existing licence, probably best to take passport as well. You see a doctor who takes your blood pressure and asks you about any illnesses you have and medications you take. You do a sight test, reading a card like at the optician but distance vision only, then go in a booth and do a hearing test, you have to indicate when you hear the noise. Then you go onto a simulator, I asked if I could have a practice run first! You hold a joystick in each hand and a road appears on the screen, there are two black dashes on it and you have to keep both of them on the road, which moves around, at the same time. You are apparently allowed a 50% error rate so don't worry if you run off the road a few times. It goes on for what feels like ages but is probably about 3 minutes! They take your photo you pay the fee and they give you a paper to say the licence is on its way, it comes in the post after a couple of weeks. If you have any medical conditions which may affect your ability to drive you have to get a letter rom your consultant to say it is ok for you to drive, (my husband has sleep apnoea). They only gave him one year last time hence the renewal, but he might get 4 years this time fingers crossed as its not cheap think it was about 70 euros. It's really not as bad as it sounds. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
It varies everywhere. Here you just need your licence. Attend medical centre, eye test, photo , that's it. same as previous reply, new licence arrives shortly. 70-75€ appears to be the average.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
I don't know if you can use the one in Jávea - but it's Thursday evenings. no appointment required & 50€

Policlínica Cume

the test is as described by JaneyO

·
Registered
765 Posts
In Pego you can go to Clinica La Pau ( near the tourist office). They hold them every Friday from 5pm. You don't need an appointment, but get there about quarter to, so your first or second in the queue. They do do questions, blood pressure, eye test etc similar to where Gus lives. Think it cost me about €55.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
It varies, we had to go to the Chemist and purchase the forms that the examining Doctor had to complete, then to a private health centre, a really strict and thorough examination, sight, hearing, blood pressure, heart, lungs, reflexes. limb count. cannot remember the cost, but I think about 40€

On the other hand Renewal of licence in the U.K., no medical, no foto, no fee, all done online and received in three days!!!!.

Why do the Spanish make life difficult.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
It varies, we had to go to the Chemist and purchase the forms that the examining Doctor had to complete, then to a private health centre, a really strict and thorough examination, sight, hearing, blood pressure, heart, lungs, reflexes. limb count. cannot remember the cost, but I think about 40€

On the other hand Renewal of licence in the U.K., no medical, no foto, no fee, all done online and received in three days!!!!.

Why do the Spanish make life difficult.
Well if and when the UK introduce medicals I fancy it will be a damn more expensive & time consuming than it is in Spain.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is just to let you know that we had our medicals at Clinica La Pau in Pego yesterday. We booked appointments in advance. All that was needed were our Spanish Driving Licences. The cost was a hefty 70€ each but the staff we saw were all very pleasant and helpful and patient with our poor Spanish. We were asked a few questions about our health and medications and we were asked our height in centimetres, and how much we drove, and whether we drunk alcohol. Our blood pressures and photos were taken and we were asked to read a few letters from the bottom two lines of an eye test chart (with glasses, if worn). We came away with a document giving us temporary permission to drive (3months) and a promise that our new licences would be delivered in 2-4 weeks. Mine will last 10 years (I am 58) and my husband's 5. He is 64. It was all very easy and straight forward and no computer reaction test was involved. There did seem to be a machine which might have administered such a test but perhaps only those they have doubts about have to do it?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have recently received a new Spanish driving licence for the first time. It took about 4 months to arrive (but that is another story). I was never asked to do a medical. Is this normal?
Sorry for mini hijack.

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
I have recently received a new Spanish driving licence for the first time. It took about 4 months to arrive (but that is another story). I was never asked to do a medical. Is this normal?
Sorry for mini hijack.
Depends on your age I think, and how long you had your existing licence. I didn't have to have one either (but next year I will!)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have recently received a new Spanish driving licence for the first time. It took about 4 months to arrive (but that is another story). I was never asked to do a medical. Is this normal? Sorry for mini hijack.
if it was an exchange ( which I guess it was based on the time it took), then that is normal, you don't have to undergo the medical on exchange, but you will on renewal.

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
The computer test keep 2 dots on the 2 white lines
That's part of the medical. It tests your co-ordination skills. If you can't do it, you are considered not fit to drive.

I don't know if there's a limit on how many times you can retake the medical. If you think you have recovered from whatever caused you to fail it before, I'm sure you can do it again. Why not just go to the Centro Medico and ask for another appointment!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
That's part of the medical. It tests your co-ordination skills. If you can't do it, you are considered not fit to drive.

I don't know if there's a limit on how many times you can retake the medical. If you think you have recovered from whatever caused you to fail it before, I'm sure you can do it again. Why not just go to the Centro Medico and ask for another appointment!
I am useless at the dots on the lines test, always have been since I was in my 30s.

In reality, they will not fail you for this. The last time I did this, the "doctor" just got fed up with my ineptitude, sighed loudly, and said "that will do"....

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
The Dr. who has just dome my medical has only given e renewal for 2 years instead of 3 because of my heart attack last year and emphysema.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts