Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, We are in Australia on a subclass 457 visa. We have only been here for a couple of weeks, but just found out my wife is pregnant. Our private health insurance company doesn't cover pregnancy until after being a member for 12 months. Also, we are not able to apply for medicare with a 457 visa from what I understand. Is there anything we can do to cover the health costs of my wife's pregnancy? If not, does anyone have estimates of how much it may cost out of pocket? Thank you for any advice you may have.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi:

I think it will cost between $5000-$10000

Here are the costs you need to find out and this is from private or public hospital:

1. Cost of Gynecologist (they should have that on a printed sheet)
2. Cost of hospital/day
3. Cost of special care nursery
4. Cost of Anesthest (i.e. epidurals, c-section)

The one that can really run away from you is the special care nursery, this can be $1000/day at some hospitals.

Hello, We are in Australia on a subclass 457 visa. We have only been here for a couple of weeks, but just found out my wife is pregnant. Our private health insurance company doesn't cover pregnancy until after being a member for 12 months. Also, we are not able to apply for medicare with a 457 visa from what I understand. Is there anything we can do to cover the health costs of my wife's pregnancy? If not, does anyone have estimates of how much it may cost out of pocket? Thank you for any advice you may have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi:

I think it will cost between $5000-$10000

Here are the costs you need to find out and this is from private or public hospital:

1. Cost of Gynecologist (they should have that on a printed sheet)
2. Cost of hospital/day
3. Cost of special care nursery
4. Cost of Anesthest (i.e. epidurals, c-section)

The one that can really run away from you is the special care nursery, this can be $1000/day at some hospitals.
Thank you amaslam for the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help Please

Hi There,

I would be really grateful if you could advise what happened with you and your wife even though I know your query was 2 years ago. Did you end up paying yourself? What was the cost? and was that for private or public?

Also did medicare cover any of your costs?

Thank You.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.