Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 61 and will be moving to France in April 2016 to retirewith my wife who is aged 55. What medical cover can we expect to receive and how do we apply for it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,282 Posts
I am 61 and will be moving to France in April 2016 to retirewith my wife who is aged 55. What medical cover can we expect to receive and how do we apply for it?
Hi Mike, At present the procedure is pretty much as outlined above, remarkably nothing much has changed recently. But check again just before you move because the rules do keep changing.

Assuming nothing changes, the main things to bear in mind are, firstly that you can't apply until you've been here for 3 months, so you'd be well advised to make sure you have some kind of cover in place to cover those initial 3 months plus the time it takes to process your application. Just in case.
Secondly, that if your application is accepted, the state will cover approx 70 per cent of your medical costs, with some exceptions, so you will probably want to consider taking out top-up insurance to cover some or all of the other 30 per cent.
Thirdly, that you won't be accepted if your total household income (savings don't count) is below the threshold, and if you are accepted you'll be charged cotisations as a percentage of total household income above the threshold. Also, being in the state system may result in you being liable for certain taxes (CSG) that you wouldn't be liable for if you weren't. So depending on your income and your medical history, private health insurance might in fact turn out to be a better option for you than joining the state system.
If you read this thread carefully, and do a search on the forum for other threads on this subject - of which there are plenty - you should find all the info you need, or if you still have questions, come back and ask. But just to repeat, you can't set your plans in stone yet, in case things change again before next April. Although after several years of confusion and changes, the procedure does seem to have stablised now.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top