Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am already invited under visa 189 and is in the process of gathering documents for submission & need to undergo medicals once the CO asks for that.
We are a family of 3 with our son, who is 7 years old, is implanted with cochlear implants to aid his hearing as he was born with profound hearing loss.
Just today morning, one of my friends in Melbourne told that there is a possible risk in getting the PR granted if kids are having health issues, which has got us worried.
Now I am not sure whether having hearing issues/bionic implants is considered a "health issue" or any possible funding required in future may go against us.
My son is already implanted bilaterally from India & so the expensive part is over and what needs in future is possible repairs or replacement of processors every 6-8 years or so.
Does anyone know whether such instances which may affect DIBP Australia's decision of PR visa grant ?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
I am already invited under visa 189 and is in the process of gathering documents for submission & need to undergo medicals once the CO asks for that.
We are a family of 3 with our son, who is 7 years old, is implanted with cochlear implants to aid his hearing as he was born with profound hearing loss.
Just today morning, one of my friends in Melbourne told that there is a possible risk in getting the PR granted if kids are having health issues, which has got us worried.
Now I am not sure whether having hearing issues/bionic implants is considered a "health issue" or any possible funding required in future may go against us.
My son is already implanted bilaterally from India & so the expensive part is over and what needs in future is possible repairs or replacement of processors every 6-8 years or so.
Does anyone know whether such instances which may affect DIBP Australia's decision of PR visa grant ?

Thanks
Hi there,

I am curious about the outcome you got from your PR application. I have a similar situation. Our 4 year old son has profound to severe hearing loss and he already has cochlear implants on both ears and I am interested in migrating to Australia. Did you get a positive outcome??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

I am curious about the outcome you got from your PR application. I have a similar situation. Our 4 year old son has profound to severe hearing loss and he already has cochlear implants on both ears and I am interested in migrating to Australia. Did you get a positive outcome??
Hi Chidhumo
Yes, I received a positive response and we are already in Australia. They referred it to Bupa (who are the health consultant for visa I assume) and they approved it one day after our application was approved (you can see status updates in the visa application site- sorry, I forgot the names) .

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Chidhumo
Yes, I received a positive response and we are already in Australia. They referred it to Bupa (who are the health consultant for visa I assume) and they approved it one day after our application was approved (you can see status updates in the visa application site- sorry, I forgot the names) .

Thanks

Hi Rathishv,

Many thanks for your quick response. I am relieved to know that at least someone with cochlear implants can get a visa although I know it it will be on a case to case basis.

If I can just ask 2 more follow up questions,
1. So at Bupa they just had to do hearing tests with the cochlear implants to assess his level of hearing with the implants?? I am just curious as to what they did.
2. Was your son still having speech therapy when you migrated or he didnt need it anymore?

Thanks again you are the first person whom I have seen having responded about the outcome/feedback on cochlear related issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Rathishv,

Many thanks for your quick response. I am relieved to know that at least someone with cochlear implants can get a visa although I know it it will be on a case to case basis.

If I can just ask 2 more follow up questions,
1. So at Bupa they just had to do hearing tests with the cochlear implants to assess his level of hearing with the implants?? I am just curious as to what they did.
2. Was your son still having speech therapy when you migrated or he didnt need it anymore?

Thanks again you are the first person whom I have seen having responded about the outcome/feedback on cochlear related issues.
Hi
See answers below :
1. They didn't do any tests. As we mentioned about CI during medical assessment, the doctor noted it down and after uploading the application, immigration just referred to Bupa and they gave the green light immediately. you don't have to do anything. It is just standard procedure for them to refer to bupa if you mention something different to usual applications.
2. No, we stopped after he started school way back.
thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts