Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Have you read the sticky thread about things you need to know?

It is illegal to co-habit. so it is best to marry before you move here. If not you cannot sponsor her. If you are married then you can sponsor your spouse once you have a residency visa yourself.

Without residency a person cannot work, buy a car (or drive anything other than a hire car), get a full bank account, rent a home etc.

-

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are supposed to get married next year, but if the opportunity comes before then I'll fast track that.

Basically, if we are married and I move there first and get a residency visa and as such sponsor her; is she required to work or not?

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
We are supposed to get married next year, but if the opportunity comes before then I'll fast track that.

Basically, if we are married and I move there first and get a residency visa and as such sponsor her; is she required to work or not?

Required to - no. Unless you want her to? ;)

A wife sponsored by a husband will have a visa that says 'Housewife - not allowed to work' but that simply means their husband must provide a letter of no objection for any employer. Married women on a husband's visa need his permission for quite a few things. Daft, but those are the rules :rolleyes:

-

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanx for the reply. The option for her to work is up to her. If the opportunity arrives then I want to make the transition as easy as it can be for her.
im telling u im in the same boat. But i got here already 4 weeks ago.

Now its time to figure out how to get her here. i mean my fiancee

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im telling u im in the same boat. But i got here already 4 weeks ago.

Now its time to figure out how to get her here. i mean my fiancee
Ouch. Well, I'm no expert but can't you can get married (locally) if she visits on a visitor visa?

As for my case - I'm fast tracking the marriage but I promised her the official bells and whistles ceremony will come later next year, although at a much smaller size.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ouch. Well, I'm no expert but can't you can get married (locally) if she visits on a visitor visa?

As for my case - I'm fast tracking the marriage but I promised her the official bells and whistles ceremony will come later next year, although at a much smaller size.
Man that made me laugh. Coz i promised her the wedding as well :) And im going to deliever just not right away. Its funny coz my Vegas suggestion was shut down :) j/k

Anyway, getting married here? i dont know - all i know i gotta find out all the details about it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hehe. Luckily we both feel that big marriages are there for other people's pleasure. I'd rather have a small wedding ceremony and buy a beeeeg LCD.... errrrr..... I mean take her away to some exotic island.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hehe. Luckily we both feel that big marriages are there for other people's pleasure. I'd rather have a small wedding ceremony and buy a beeeeg LCD.... errrrr..... I mean take her away to some exotic island.
Honestly the island thingy, not just her, I wanna go for it as well. Ill just let her decide where.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Man that made me laugh. Coz i promised her the wedding as well :) And im going to deliever just not right away. Its funny coz my Vegas suggestion was shut down :) j/k

Anyway, getting married here? i dont know - all i know i gotta find out all the details about it.
The rules regarding getting married in Dubai are complex and depend on your nationalities and religion. There is no registry office option.

-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.