Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt has nominated its deputy chairman, Khairat al-Shatir, as its candidate for the presidential elections in May.

The choice of Mr Shatir, the group's financier, reverses a pledge made earlier by the group's leaders not to contest the election.

It will raise concerns among liberals and the military that the Brotherhood could become too powerful.

Correspondents say its ties with the ruling council have steadily worsened.

There had been much speculation about whether it would opt to field a candidate following the party's legislative election success in November.

The movement's political arm then won around a third of the vote, and nearly half the seats in the first parliamentary election since the fall of Hosni Mubarak last year.

Mahmoud Hussein, the group's deputy leader, said it had decided to field a candidate following "attempts to abort the revolution". Only a few days remain before the close of nominations.

Challenge

The announcement ends months of speculation about who the Muslim Brotherhood would throw its weight behind, says the BBC's Yolande Knell in Cairo.

Before Egypt's uprising, Khairat al-Shatir spent 12 years behind bars because of his association with the Muslim Brotherhood. Yet he managed to maintain a multimillion-dollar business empire, care for his 10 children and uphold his commitment to political Islam.

Since he was released from jail last year, the influence of Mr Shatir has increased so that many suggest he is more powerful than the Brotherhood's general guide.

As deputy leader, the 62-year-old took key strategic decisions concerning the formation of a political party and is said to have led negotiations with the ruling military. He has been the public face of the Brotherhood to visiting foreign officials and investors.

While Mr Shatir has been at pains to express his group's commitment to democracy, free markets and minority rights, he has also said that the recent elections show Egyptians' commitment to an Islamic state.

Mr Shatir, a wealthy businessman, has long been a senior member of the Islamist group and its main financier.

He spent 12 years in prison because of his connection with the Brotherhood, which was previously banned. He was released only after last year's uprising.

In an official statement, the Muslim Brotherhood said it had reversed its decision not to contest the presidency to overcome risks to Egypt's revolution and the transfer from military to civilian rule.

The Brotherhood already dominates Egypt's newly elected parliament and the panel set up to draft the new constitution.

But it complains that its attempts to form a new cabinet have been blocked and there have been threats to dissolve parliament.

The ruling military council has been in conflict with the Brotherhood over the appointment of cabinet ministers.

The Brotherhood argues presidential candidates from the ousted government could present a further challenge.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
For the parliamentary elections, they're not after winning the majority...........But then changed their minds and they actually "won" the majority (Yes, they "won", one way or another!).......:rolleyes:

And even with the majority being theirs..........They said the current government is no good and they'd make sure it's gone..............But that tone's replaced with the government's doing the best it can :rolleyes:

For presidential hopefuls........They suspended Abu El Fotooh for running for presidency and said the MB is bigger than silly titles and prefer to look for Egypt's best interest, not the Brotherhood's..........But now.......:rolleyes:

I would've gone for ages for all the "funny" stuff they've done, but yet the funniest thing is.................People still buy their sh!t, and Abu Salah's too :frusty:

Done ranting! Sorry!

·
Registered
252 Posts
For the parliamentary elections, they're not after winning the majority...........But then changed their minds and they actually "won" the majority (Yes, they "won", one way or another!).......:rolleyes:

And even with the majority being theirs..........They said the current government is no good and they'd make sure it's gone..............But that tone's replaced with the government's doing the best it can :rolleyes:

For presidential hopefuls........They suspended Abu El Fotooh for running for presidency and said the MB is bigger than silly titles and prefer to look for Egypt's best interest, not the Brotherhood's..........But now.......:rolleyes:

I would've gone for ages for all the "funny" stuff they've done, but yet the funniest thing is.................People still buy their sh!t, and Abu Salah's too :frusty:

Done ranting! Sorry!

Just read a piece in yesterday's FT about a Mr. Hamza Abu Ismael, a politically savvy and erudite chap who intends to stand for President. He seems to have a great grasp regarding the economic and social issues confronting the country and has formulated a really constructive set of policies to deal with them. I won't go through all of it (but do read the article if you can) but my favourite is the banning of nutmeg, since "a woman who flavours her cooking with nutmeg is leading her family into sin". The rest of his platform is similarly sensible.

Problem is, in the UK, Eire, etc we laugh at such people (Monster Raving Looney Party !), but here he will get plenty of votes, could even win it

I feel sorry for sensible Egyptians, of which there are many.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The people on the street are regretting what they've done by electing the M.B. and Salafis to parliamentary majorities. Anybody I talk to says the same and their not looking forward to the future. It was only to be expected as a large majority of the population is poor and illiterate so at voting they didn't know who they were voting for and the M.B. pulled the wool over their eyes and lulled them by rhetoric into a sense of security.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Just read a piece in yesterday's FT about a Mr. Hamza Abu Ismael, a politically savvy and erudite chap who intends to stand for President. He seems to have a great grasp regarding the economic and social issues confronting the country and has formulated a really constructive set of policies to deal with them. I won't go through all of it (but do read the article if you can) but my favourite is the banning of nutmeg, since "a woman who flavours her cooking with nutmeg is leading her family into sin". The rest of his platform is similarly sensible.

Problem is, in the UK, Eire, etc we laugh at such people (Monster Raving Looney Party !), but here he will get plenty of votes, could even win it

I feel sorry for sensible Egyptians, of which there are many.
The problem is, in here, people like this are (And we all have to admit it) SMART enough to know how to use the public's stupidity and how to hypnotize the people with echoing words like "Allah" and "Good Muslims" and the rest of the usual [email protected], and if the people are stupid enough to buy this sh!t and turn a blind eye, or even refuse to look into all the contradicting [email protected] coming out of an idiot that says drinking a cold can of PEPSI on a hot summer day can send you to Hell while his sister LIVES in the US and is a citizen of the bloody country! Then really it's no one but the people's fault!

In my previous post I said I was done ranting, so please don't get me started again :mad:

***** ********* ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The people on the street are regretting what they've done by electing the M.B. and Salafis to parliamentary majorities. Anybody I talk to says the same and their not looking forward to the future. It was only to be expected as a large majority of the population is poor and illiterate so at voting they didn't know who they were voting for and the M.B. pulled the wool over their eyes and lulled them by rhetoric into a sense of security.
Cairo streets.............You should come to where I "live" and see how aggressive anyone would get if anyone dared to complain about Allah's sents to the country..........

The M.B. is starting from where the NDP stopped.........And it's just a matter of time before it's all back to the old times..........But with a religious cover this time, which provides less opposition............

·
Registered
252 Posts
The problem is, in here, people like this are (And we all have to admit it) SMART enough to know how to use the public's stupidity and how to hypnotize the people with echoing words like "Allah" and "Good Muslims" and the rest of the usual [email protected], and if the people are stupid enough to buy this sh!t and turn a blind eye, or even refuse to look into all the contradicting [email protected] coming out of an idiot that says drinking a cold can of PEPSI on a hot summer day can send you to Hell while his sister LIVES in the US and is a citizen of the bloody country! Then really it's no one but the people's fault!

In my previous post I said I was done ranting, so please don't get me started again :mad:

***** ********* ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you had a brother like that, wouldn't you live as far away as possible!? But seriously, doesn't having a family member with an overseas passport preclude you from holding office?

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Muslim Brotherhood presidential nominee Khairat al-Shater said Tuesday that the application of Sharia is his ultimate goal.

Shater: Application of Islamic law is ultimate goal | Egypt Independent

We are doomed

and of course this...

In the past two days, social media has witnessed an outrage over statements made by MP Azza El-Garf of the Freedom and Justice Party. Garf, who is one of the very few female parliamentarians in the Islamist-dominated People’s Assembly, has called for the cancellation of the anti-harassment law. She justified her claims by stating that the indecent attire of women is what invites sexual harassment, hence harassers are not to be blamed. Garf’s statement has been mocked as mad, but the reality is that apart from being extremely disturbing, Garf is simply echoing the state’s de facto position on sexual assault, despite the presence of the law. In order to really address the danger of the state’s lax application of the law, and its own endorsement of sexual harassment techniques.

is the first step in getting everyone covered .

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
and of course this...

In the past two days, social media has witnessed an outrage over statements made by MP Azza El-Garf of the Freedom and Justice Party. Garf, who is one of the very few female parliamentarians in the Islamist-dominated People’s Assembly, has called for the cancellation of the anti-harassment law. She justified her claims by stating that the indecent attire of women is what invites sexual harassment, hence harassers are not to be blamed. Garf’s statement has been mocked as mad, but the reality is that apart from being extremely disturbing, Garf is simply echoing the state’s de facto position on sexual assault, despite the presence of the law. In order to really address the danger of the state’s lax application of the law, and its own endorsement of sexual harassment techniques.

is the first step in getting everyone covered .
Better get out shopping for the abeyas,hijabs and maybe even the niqab as looks like you ladies could be needing them soon.:(

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If you had a brother like that, wouldn't you live as far away as possible!? But seriously, doesn't having a family member with an overseas passport preclude you from holding office?
Good point! I think I definitely would :lol:

But no, just the parents' citizenship..........And I didn't wanna mention it before it's confirmed, but it seems like it is gonna be confirmed in a couple days.........He is a son of.............An American :D

The guy's going nuts and staying low these days after various media sources claimed that his mother is a Green Card holder, which went further to claim that she's been granted the American citizenship just a few months before she passed away :rolleyes:

In his latest "video clip" trying to "defend" it, he NEVER denied the Green Card bit, nor the American citizenship's bit either, but instead he tried to make it sound like his mom holding the Green Card for a few years, or holding an American passport for a couple months before she was dead, wouldn't make his mom, or himself, less patriot Egyptians, cause she's been 110% Egyptian for over 60 years of her life :lol: And of course, he tried to make it sound like he's being plotted, and that he never knew that his mother held a Green Card or an American passport :rolleyes:

An Islamic fanatic with a presidential agenda that almost got nothing but hating the American infidels and being being good Muslims turns out to be..............Typical.........:rolleyes:

The guy's hilarious! And he's obviously going down..........:ranger:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts