Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we did wander off the point there a bit didn't we? But it got the ball rolling and here is something else over which to to chew the Iberian cud.
If we are making comparisons between UK Town Halls and Spanish ones, and why not, we live here, should we seek to improve them? The Spanish ones that is.
1) Why bother
2) If we should what needs fixing first? Finance, Housing, Planning, Transparency, something else?
And before you answer, please read the question, as my maths teacher used to say.

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
Well, we did wander off the point there a bit didn't we? But it got the ball rolling and here is something else over which to to chew the Iberian cud.
If we are making comparisons between UK Town Halls and Spanish ones, and why not, we live here, should we seek to improve them? The Spanish ones that is.
1) Why bother
2) If we should what needs fixing first? Finance, Housing, Planning, Transparency, something else?
And before you answer, please read the question, as my maths teacher used to say.
The only dealing I had with the UK town council was when I was living in a council house and we used to go every few months or so to pay the rent, so I can't really compare. I don't know how useful it is to compare anyway. As you say, we live in Spain, so let's concentrate on that. I'm by passing the "Why bother" and thinking about number 2.
I should think it quite clear that many, if not all, Town Halls could look at their financing more clearly, and if they do that it just about covers everything else you mentioned.
Refuse collecting seems to work well around here and street cleaning is pretty good. They could do with more accessibilility literally and in opening hours. Road repair, evening classes, local facilities like schools and health centres a long etc - in general all that is ok, but it depends on which government's in and what priorities they are giving in any one moment. It's not easy to generalise about any one Town Hall in any one area.

·
Registered
15,806 Posts
1) Why bother
Finance, definitely. The whole idea of a town hall going bankrupt and not being able to pay its staff or run its services is crazy. This is the case in two towns near me, including La Linea where they are four months behind with the wages and can´t maintain basic services like cleaning schools, and Barbate where the phones were cut off for three days at the police station because the bill hadn´t been paid.

There has to be a better way!

·
Registered
22,378 Posts
I wouldn't presume to make comparisons between British and Spanish systems of local government. We are too fond of exporting our way of doing things, aren't we.....It's not as if our systems have no flaws.
Like many other things, we are not so superior in this field that we should try to 'improve' the current system.
Finance.....how local government is financed has been a hot topic in the UK for years and there is great disagreement about the correct balance of funding. Should local taxes form the main part of a Council budget or should it come from the Treasury? How best to ensure accountability?
These questions are inextricably linked.
The fact that so many Spanish Town Halls and Juntas spend beyond their limits suggests a need for tighter budget control and effective auditing. Deficit financing is a fact of life for many UK Councils but limits are set not only by public opinion but by strict audit and other controls.
Then there is the calibre of those operating the system.
My decades of experience of local government at all three levels in the UK has gicven me firm opinions about that.
I don't know enough yet to give an opinion about the quality of councillors etc. in Spain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.