Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only oldie who has recently moved to Dubai? I hope not as I don't know anyone here and am hoping to make some friends who are interested in meals out etc but not the disco scene. Is there such a group, and if not, are there any post thirties people who are interested in making new friends? Don't want to exclude those who are younger but am guessing that not many twenty somethings are desperate to make friends with someone their mother's age :)

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
There are all ages groups in Dubai and many of us are over 30 ;)

Not sure about socal groups as such, but there are all sorts of organised activities and places to meet people. Many of the pubs are graced by those of their 20's who are no longer impressed by new shiny bars.

Where do you live and what are you interested in? :)

-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying, Elphaba. I'm a teacher and I live in the Greens. Only been here a couple of weeks and am dreading a long Eid with no conversation except to the DVD shop owner. I'm interested in chatty dinners etc - just chatting and laughing about Dubai, travel, people's families, anything. I'm not sporty but I don't mind if other people are - just as long as they don't want me to go skiing in the MoE :) That's all I'm looking for really.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

We live in the Greens and are certainly mature! We are an Irish/Scottish combination and certainly love the chat. We like going out to down-to-earth restaurants/pubs and would be happy to meet new people. I think I can pm you but will check with a moderator. One problem is that my in-laws are arriving tonight so not sure about free time immediately. They are happy to stay at home with their grandchildren so over the holiday we may be able to meet up if you are interested. We are past active sporty (I played hockey and my husband rugby) but we do love to watch it.

Rest is up to you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yay!! Potential friends already - this site really works. I would love to meet up if the in-laws visit permits although I am probably nearer their age than yours. Past 50 but young at heart - hence the sojourn to Dubai. The kids wouldn't leave home so I did ;) Not sure how we can organise this. Hope you can pm me. If not, maybe we can just meet for a quick, first chat at Caribou Coffee or somewhere. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yay!! Potential friends already - this site really works. I would love to meet up if the in-laws visit permits although I am probably nearer their age than yours. Past 50 but young at heart - hence the sojourn to Dubai. The kids wouldn't leave home so I did ;) Not sure how we can organise this. Hope you can pm me. If not, maybe we can just meet for a quick, first chat at Caribou Coffee or somewhere. Let me know what you think.
Hi heretoday,

I'm unable to pm you so I will have to come up with an alternative way of giving you contact details. Leave it with me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Am I the only oldie who has recently moved to Dubai? I hope not as I don't know anyone here and am hoping to make some friends who are interested in meals out etc but not the disco scene. Is there such a group, and if not, are there any post thirties people who are interested in making new friends? Don't want to exclude those who are younger but am guessing that not many twenty somethings are desperate to make friends with someone their mother's age :)
Nice to hear that there are more people above "20" . Would love to join the "olide" club. Living in JLT. :clap2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Heretoday,

Can you email me on l] and we can exchange numbers etc.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Morning,
Please do not post your email address or your telephone number in the forums, this is to save you from unsolicited spams and calls.
Once you have made 5 postings in the forum the private message facility will be available to you.
Just put the cursor up to the persons name and the bar will drop click on the private message link.
I am happy that you have met someone already and the irish/scots love the craic

Maiden x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Joining the "oldie" club...

Nice to hear that there are more people above "20" . Would love to join the "olide" club. Living in JLT. :clap2:
Count me in ... I live in JBR. Moved here in March but not yet been able to get out there and meet very many people. Husband working six days/week doesn't really help :(

How about meeting at "The Walk" for a coffee? Any other oldies out there interested?

Cheers! :ranger:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for replying, Elphaba. I'm a teacher and I live in the Greens. Only been here a couple of weeks and am dreading a long Eid with no conversation except to the DVD shop owner. I'm interested in chatty dinners etc - just chatting and laughing about Dubai, travel, people's families, anything. I'm not sporty but I don't mind if other people are - just as long as they don't want me to go skiing in the MoE :) That's all I'm looking for really.
Hello there! I am happy to read this! I just joined my Husband here in Dubai last month. We are at the Greens and 'not young'. Would love to meet up. I understand I need a couple most posts before can send pm :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

We live in the Greens and are certainly mature! We are an Irish/Scottish combination and certainly love the chat. We like going out to down-to-earth restaurants/pubs and would be happy to meet new people. I think I can pm you but will check with a moderator. One problem is that my in-laws are arriving tonight so not sure about free time immediately. They are happy to stay at home with their grandchildren so over the holiday we may be able to meet up if you are interested. We are past active sporty (I played hockey and my husband rugby) but we do love to watch it.

Rest is up to you!
Would love to be included if there is an outing! I am in my late 40's and Hubby is much older. Yes, love those down-to-earth restaurants....I really miss the small Mom and Pop restaurants in Canada...the kind where the Pop is the cook, the Mom is the waitress and kids helping out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Morning,
Please do not post your email address or your telephone number in the forums, this is to save you from unsolicited spams and calls.
Once you have made 5 postings in the forum the private message facility will be available to you.
Just put the cursor up to the persons name and the bar will drop click on the private message link.
I am happy that you have met someone already and the irish/scots love the craic

Maiden x
I'm not getting this. I tried to pm heretoday but was told the user could not receive pms. The email address I have quoted has been created for the purpose of this communication only. If I put my cursor alongside the user name I do not get an option to contact them. Please advise

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, as Elphaba points out, a social meet is looking really promising. This is my fourth thread so only one more and aliensrule and others can pm me, which would be great :):) I don't know the 'Walk' but Caribou Coffee on 7th Street the Greens is quite nice - has a large outdoor area - for a first coffee meet. I can be there on Thursdat at 6pm. How about anyone interested in meeting and planning the odd evening out just turn up to the outdoor area. Any takers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The ball is rolling

Well, as Elphaba points out, a social meet is looking really promising. This is my fourth thread so only one more and aliensrule and others can pm me, which would be great :):) I don't know the 'Walk' but Caribou Coffee on 7th Street the Greens is quite nice - has a large outdoor area - for a first coffee meet. I can be there on Thursdat at 6pm. How about anyone interested in meeting and planning the odd evening out just turn up to the outdoor area. Any takers?
Trying my best to contact you. Thurs at 6 is awkward but will try my best. I have the feeling that you are a woman (not that it matters but it would save some false introductions!) Looks like there are lots of us out there who want to meet like-aged, like-minded people so let's see what can be achieved.

A

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Aliensrule (my fifth post so maybe my pm will magically appear now). Yes, I am a woman. I have short, blonde hair and a slim build. If 6pm is awkward then please suggest another time. As long as it's a time when, hopefully, all others that are interested can make it, then I'll try and fit in with it. I can't make day meets except on weekends/holidays as I'm working. Let's see if we can organise a good time and hopefully, a crowd of us will turn up :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi There,

So glad to read your post. I'm in JLT and pretty much in the same situation as you.

I think you can pm me with you phone no. and we can have a chat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your txt msg

Hi Aliensrule (my fifth post so maybe my pm will magically appear now). Yes, I am a woman. I have short, blonde hair and a slim build. If 6pm is awkward then please suggest another time. As long as it's a time when, hopefully, all others that are interested can make it, then I'll try and fit in with it. I can't make day meets except on weekends/holidays as I'm working. Let's see if we can organise a good time and hopefully, a crowd of us will turn up :)
Phone stuck on predictive txt so cant reply meaningfully. Wed at 7 sounds doable and would like to do it. I have yr no so any unforseen situations I can call you. When I get my phone sorted I will txt you.

A

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to let all people interested in a social meet know that Aliensrule and I have finally made contact and are trying to find a time for that first coffee meet that will suit you all too. Once we're all together other times and places will be easier to arrange. We're looking at either this Wednesday at 7pm or this Thursday at 6pm in the outdoor area of "Caribou Cafe" on 7th Street the Greens. Will keep you posted on the final day/time but hopefully these tentative days/times will suit most of you. Really looking forward to getting us all out for a bit of chat and craic :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.