Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
It's a poem against the argument how immigrants take away jobs when in fact they are needed for economic well-being. I will let it stand for the sake of free speech but will monitor how the conversation goes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a poem against the argument how immigrants take away jobs when in fact they are needed for economic well-being. I will let it stand for the sake of free speech but will monitor how the conversation goes.
I thought it was a good poem, powerful words and realistic words spoken.

Immigrants in fact don't take away jobs, its because some people in the UK would rather claim public benefits then do a hard''s day work..

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
They do however take up housing which is short already, places in schools and put pressure on the NHS. There are some Brits which would prefer to live on benefits but there are also immigrants which do the same.

The most bitter pill for some to swallow is that it's easier for a drug addict with a criminal record from EU to come to UK than it is say for the professional or business person of a UK citizen. Loads of people from EU cannot speak English but some from countries where they speak English as their first language have to do a test at US$240 and then another one in two and a half years time....

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Its how it is. Immigrants, dont take jobs per se. There appears to me to be some truth in that our indigenous British do prefer to be claiming benefits, while using the excuse that immigrants have taken their jobs - but....... everyone who lives in the UK, especially those working all contribute - not only in taxes, but in spending too. They create work for others!

I worry about the culture and English heritage, but life and lives change and nothing stays the same.

What made me think about this subject long and hard was when I moved to Spain - I could no longer complain about foreigners etc, Because in Spain thats exactly what I was - "an immigrant". I made an attempt to integrate, but its not easy and one always gravitates towards others from the same country, culture language etc.

So there is far more to immigration that just "taking our jobs" . Everyone has the right to try to better themselves and I bet alot of immigrants actually come to England because they want to live as english and integrate and theres nothing wrong with that!

Jo xxx

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
This issue is universal... when my Grandparents emigrated from Japan to Canada in the '20's and '30's, they encountered the same sort of issues - anti-Japanese racism in Canada at the beginning decades of the last century was alive and well (WW2 did nothing to help the matter)... the community worked hard for lower wages than what the native Canadians were willing to accept... they saved their money to send back home (many came with the belief that the streets were paved in gold)... my Mom's Dad came over as a teenager with the intent of making a ton of money and returning to Japan when he'd made his fortune... he never made it back other than to visit and passed away in Toronto at the age of 89.

While I can see and understand the point of the native Britons, as my opportunity to become British approaches, I am trying to remain objective about the whole issue, given that I've been on both sides as both an immigrant who is seeing to permanently settle here and a native born person who has seen the same situation in her home country.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts