Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just registered since I believe I could get more valuable information from a forum than articles I had found.

I want to move to Spain after I graduate from college. I study communication sciences and am a soon-to-be senior.

I found very appealing master's programs in Madrid (creative writing, advertising, PR) and I am learning Spanish and I'll be fluent in Spanish before my studies start.

My questions are: What are the chances for me to get some part-time or student's job during my studies?

What are the chances of getting a job after the studies and what income can a graduate expect in Spain?

Thank you in advance for every bit of information you can give me.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just registered since I believe I could get more valuable information from a forum than articles I had found.

I want to move to Spain after I graduate from college. I study communication sciences and am a soon-to-be senior.

I found very appealing master's programs in Madrid (creative writing, advertising, PR) and I am learning Spanish and I'll be fluent in Spanish before my studies start.

My questions are: What are the chances for me to get some part-time or student's job during my studies?

What are the chances of getting a job after the studies and what income can a graduate expect in Spain?

Thank you in advance for every bit of information you can give me.
Unfortunately job prospects for young people are not good in Spain. See this thread
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...ing-spain/1292745-spains-lost-generation.html
Many young people do work experience programmes (prácticas) for no or little pay, maybe 400 - 600€ per month because there is little alternative and by young people I mean up to 30 years old! Of course, some also manage to get a full time paying job, but many qualified people work for around 1000 - 1500€ a month. You'd have to see what's being offered in your field. Look on https://www.infojobs.net/
to get an idea.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Not quite so sure you will be fluent in Spanish after your studies unless you already have a B2/C1 level. You need about 200 hours per level (very approx and probably only true up to B!) so unless you are doing an intensive course over at least a 3/4 year period I would think fluency is unlikely. Normally university entry level language competence starts at a very minimum B2 but more likely C1. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for replying. As for the fluency, I'm a hard worker but more importantly there is a chance of me taking the next two years to teach English in Vietnam all while extensively learning and practicing Spanish.

Concerning the cost of living, I do think I can live modestly for a while but the thing is I would very much like to stay in Spain for good. Alas, if I can't find the appropriate source of income that would support me then it's back to Bosnia for me.

·
Super Moderator
8,994 Posts
Thank you both for replying. As for the fluency, I'm a hard worker but more importantly there is a chance of me taking the next two years to teach English in Vietnam all while extensively learning and practicing Spanish.
I didn't know that Spanish was widely spoken in Vietnam ;) .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know that Spanish was widely spoken in Vietnam ;) .
Haha a little known fact :D

I'm very much attracted to Spain ever since I was there on vacation. I've heard Madrid is more suitable for us who are financially limited than Barcelona.

I don't plan on living in the city center or near it as long as I can access metro line I'm perfectly happy with the periphery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts