Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

You would be able to pursue a Masters Degree in Australia based on your 189 PR (see following quote form IMMI website).

Regarding eligibility Criteria you MUST check with the concerned Universities.

What this visa lets you do

This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:

• stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Hi guys,

Am I eligible to a masters degree in Oz with a 189 Visa

Thank you

Reactions: XWQ

·
Registered
460 Posts
You can study a masters but you are not eligible for a loan to study. You will pay australian rates but for masters they are not that different to international fees.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Scattley, to best of my understanding... PR holders are classified as local students and have lower rates applicable. Of course they cant avail the loan facility (commonwealth support facility).

I will admit that I am not 100% sure as had heard from someone... probably someone from AU can better clarify.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Yes, that's right. PR holders pay Domestic Fee as they are considered as local students.

Girl Aussie

PR holders are classified as local students and have lower rates applicable. Of course they cant avail the loan facility (commonwealth support facility).

I will admit that I am not 100% sure as had heard from someone... probably someone from AU can better clarify.

·
Registered
460 Posts
They are local students but while this makes a huge difference in fees for an undergrad degree, the fee difference for postgraduate is marginal. You are looking at 2.5-3k per subject upfront. With four subjects per semester that's over 10-12k upfront per 6 months...compared to 14-15k for international students

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
They are local students but while this makes a huge difference in fees for an undergrad degree, the fee difference for postgraduate is marginal. You are looking at 2.5-3k per subject upfront. With four subjects per semester that's over 10-12k upfront per 6 months...compared to 14-15k for international students
Right...infact there are more schlorships for international students than local students as universities are more interested in wooing foreign students. This is unfortunate but true.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Some master's courses offer Commonwealth supported places (CSPs) but they are usually competitive since only a few spots will be offered (not everyone will be eligible). PRs are eligible for CSPs, which is where the government subsidises part of the cost of fees. If it's a research based master's, you may be eligible for funding under RTS, which would cover most of the cost. Most master's by coursework are full-fee which as others have said are only slightly less than what international students pay since they are unsubsidised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts