Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,

I'm planning to visit my boyfriend in london next april . During the visit we were planning to give notice of marriage and then Get married in January 2014 .

But as the UK boarder agency website say I need to apply for the marriage visitor visa even to give notice. But the website also says that a marriage visitor should not be in the country in more than six months . Also even to apply for marriage visa they are asking for the given notice of marriage.

I'm confused , can I give notice of marriage on my general visit visa ? as we will only be giving notice of marriage or do I have to apply of marriage visa now and then re-apply for marriage visa again in January ?

Please help ,

Thanx in advance ,

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
No, you can not give notice to marry on a tourist visa.

Do you plan to marry and settle in the UK? If so, you need a spouse visa. If you only plan to marry in the UK and leave, you need a marriage visit visa.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
You can't give notice on a tourist/visit visa.

Are you planning on applying for a marriage visit visa or a fiance visa? Neither require you to give notice. The guidance says that evidence to marry could include giving notice it does not say you must give notice. They do require you to have made significant plans to marry which would include things like having contact with the register, reserving a provisional date and receipts for venues, rings, catering etc.

You can give notice after living in the district of the register office for 7 days. You must wait at least 15 days after you give notice to marry. The reasonable thing to do would be to plan your visa and to arrival with enough time prior to the wedding to give notice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't give notice on a tourist/visit visa.

Are you planning on applying for a marriage visit visa or a fiance visa? Neither require you to give notice. The guidance says that evidence to marry could include giving notice it does not say you must give notice. They do require you to have made significant plans to marry which would include things like having contact with the register, reserving a provisional date and receipts for venues, rings, catering etc.

You can give notice after living in the district of the register office for 7 days. You must wait at least 15 days after you give notice to marry. The reasonable thing to do would be to plan your visa and to arrival with enough time prior to the wedding to give notice.
But we do not have any plans to have a big wedding as both our families are against our relationship . So we were planning on registering our marriage then I can sponsor him to canada . In such case how can I prove that we have plans to marry ?
And I'm facing a huge time problem on my April visit as I have a hard time in getting leave for more than two weeks . And I need at least 24 days to give notice and get married . That's why we were only planning to give notice on this visit and then come back for the registration on August or January.

Please advice as I'm totally lost

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, you can not give notice to marry on a tourist visa.

Do you plan to marry and settle in the UK? If so, you need a spouse visa. If you only plan to marry in the UK and leave, you need a marriage visit visa.
I'm only interested in marriage visit visa as I will be sponsoring him to Canada .

But since we have no plans for a huge wedding or anything I have no idea how to prove the marriage .

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
But we do not have any plans to have a big wedding as both our families are against our relationship . So we were planning on registering our marriage then I can sponsor him to canada . In such case how can I prove that we have plans to marry ?
And I'm facing a huge time problem on my April visit as I have a hard time in getting leave for more than two weeks . And I need at least 24 days to give notice and get married . That's why we were only planning to give notice on this visit and then come back for the registration on August or January.

Please advice as I'm totally lost
You should consider marrying elsewhere because what you're proposing won't work. What about your partner going to Canada to marry an then returning to the UK while the visa is processed? I don't think there is a residency requirement for marriage in Canada.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.