Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is this... My British fiance has lived in Paris for 18 years. I am currently here with him on a tourist visa. I know all about the Long term visa I will need to apply for at my consulate in the States. If we have a church ceremony in the US, is it considered valid in France? Or do we have to go to the City Hall in France as well and have a civil ceremony in France since we plan to live here?

Any advice would be appreciated!

G

·
0 Posts
My question is this... My British fiance has lived in Paris for 18 years. I am currently here with him on a tourist visa. I know all about the Long term visa I will need to apply for at my consulate in the States. If we have a church ceremony in the US, is it considered valid in France? Or do we have to go to the City Hall in France as well and have a civil ceremony in France since we plan to live here?

Not a long term visa!! As the future non-EU spouse of a Brit resident in France, assuming you marry in the States first, you apply for a short-stay Schengen visa (3 months), and then obtain a residence permit - probably a ten year one - via your prefecture, or mairie, whichever is closest, when you get to France (and before the 3 month visa expires).

The system is totally different for a non-EU spouse of a Brit living in France. If you were marrying a Frenchman, then you do indeed apply for a long-stay visa.

Yes a US marriage is considered valid. The French embassy may require a document from the British consulate in the States, saying that the marriage is recognised under British law. Once this has been issued, then the marriage is officially recognised in any European Union country, and nothing else has to be done when you arrive in France.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a long term visa!! As the future non-EU spouse of a Brit resident in France, assuming you marry in the States first, you apply for a short-stay Schengen visa (3 months), and then obtain a residence permit - probably a ten year one - via your prefecture, or mairie, whichever is closest, when you get to France (and before the 3 month visa expires).

The system is totally different for a non-EU spouse of a Brit living in France. If you were marrying a Frenchman, then you do indeed apply for a long-stay visa.

Yes a US marriage is considered valid. The French embassy may require a document from the British consulate in the States, saying that the marriage is recognised under British law. Once this has been issued, then the marriage is officially recognised in any European Union country, and nothing else has to be done when you arrive in France.
Oh thank you SO much for the info, it is incredibly helpful!!!

·
Registered
39,034 Posts
Thank you! I am assuming that I apply for the short term visa at my US Consulate office before coming to France?
Surely as a US citizen, the OP doesn't require a physical, pre-arranged visa to come to France but just her passport to be stamped on entry for 3 months?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Surely as a US citizen, the OP doesn't require a physical, pre-arranged visa to come to France but just her passport to be stamped on entry for 3 months?
Oh really? I am currently in France but will be going back to the States for our wedding. If we are able to marry in the US and then come straight back to France instead of having to wait for a long term visa that is wonderful.

G

·
0 Posts
Yes, at the nearest French consulate. There are a limited number of documents required that can be supplied in English or in French for the visa application. The trouble is that once in France you are dealing with a different government department, which this time will require some of the same documents translated into French by a sworn translator.

Marrying a Brit living in France is easier than marrying a Frenchman. The spouse of a Frenchman has to jump through extra hoops (language/knowledge of France tests, a medical, etc), whereas the spouse of a Brit has no such obligations. European Community immigration law governs EU citizens rights when living away from their homeland in the EU, while French national laws apply to their own nationals, and these are more restrictive.

One other point - while my wife had to get the short-stay Schengen visa before coming to France, you as a US citizen are entitled to visit France for three months without the visa, albeit under the conditions of the Schengen visa. I'm not sure whether someone in your shoes needs to go through the same short-stay visa application process as a result, given that you are going to be applying for the residence permit on arrival. If Bev or someone else doesn't know this, the nearest French consulate to you will be able to confirm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, at the nearest French consulate. There are a limited number of documents required that can be supplied in English or in French for the visa application. The trouble is that once in France you are dealing with a different government department, which this time will require some of the same documents translated into French by a sworn translator.

Marrying a Brit living in France is easier than marrying a Frenchman. The spouse of a Frenchman has to jump through extra hoops (language/knowledge of France tests, a medical, etc), whereas the spouse of a Brit has no such obligations. European Community immigration law governs EU citizens rights when living away from their homeland in the EU, while French national laws apply to their own nationals, and these are more restrictive.

One other point - while my wife had to get the short-stay Schengen visa before coming to France, you as a US citizen are entitled to visit France for three months without the visa, albeit under the conditions of the Schengen visa. I'm not sure whether someone in your shoes needs to go through the same short-stay visa application process as a result, given that you are going to be applying for the residence permit on arrival. If Bev or someone else doesn't know this, the nearest French consulate to you will be able to confirm.
I cannot thank you enough for your help!!

G

·
0 Posts
Seems Joppa has pre-empted my last post. I'm not sure if the same applies to a US citizen just visiting for a 3 month stay, with the stamp on arrival system, as to an American intent on long-term residence as the spouse of a Brit. I would clarify this with the consulate first. It's possible that you just enter France with the 3 month stamp, and then apply for the permis de sejour before expiry of the three month period. However you may still need documents such as the earlier mentioned British consulate's official confirmation of the legality of the US marriage.

·
Administrator
49,435 Posts

If you get married in the US, be sure to register your marriage with British consulate. That will make getting the various documents you need considerably easier.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi i noticed you knew a lot about the process, i was wondering if you could give me advise pretty similar to vanessas but I am a mexican citizen, wanting to marry my english boyfriend. What is the easiest way on going about this if he is and has been living in France for quite some time

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi vanessa i was wondering if you can tell me how everythign went, I am in the same situation and looking for advise. How did you end up going about it all

·
Administrator
49,435 Posts
Hi i noticed you knew a lot about the process, i was wondering if you could give me advise pretty similar to vanessas but I am a mexican citizen, wanting to marry my english boyfriend. What is the easiest way on going about this if he is and has been living in France for quite some time
It might be nominally easier for you to marry in Mexico and then you could accompany your husband back to France on a regular tourist visa (or the Schengen "visa waiver" if you're eligible) and then just register at the local mairie or préfecture for a carte de séjour as the spouse of an EU national.

If you want to get married in France, there are a bunch of documents you'll have to obtain because you're a foreigner marrying another foreigner. (If you marry in France, it's the process of getting married that gets trickier.)
Cheers,
bev

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.