Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thank you in advance for any reliable answer.
Not sure if this is the right room to post this,,
I am south korean and my husband is french.
We got married in Oct 2014 in Hong Kong at the hong kong government office.
Our first child was born in Sep 2015 in Australia and he got AU passport as I was AU PR.
Then we moved to the UK last year and have since been living here.
Our second child was born in the UK in Apr 2017.
Now, we are trying to get our second child a French passport here.
The french consulate in the UK is asking us to submit family book (livret de famille) along with many other documents which we do not have.
Only recently we fount out that we should have told the french consulate in Hong Kong that we were going to married BEFORE the wedding.
Without family book, our second son doesn't seem to get a french passport and at the moment according to the consulate officers, and trying to get a korean passport is not an option at the moment. just because I believe my sons are french and they have right to get french passport.

Is there anyone with similar experience? Or is there anyone who is knowledgable about this?

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
You and your husband are going to have to submit a heap of documentation and probably to the French Consulates in Hong Kong, Australia and the UK. This is because you haven't registered your marriage or your children's births with the French authorities, and your husband's French birth certificate hasn't been updated with these key events.

You may not actually need the Livret de Famille (and you may not get one at this late stage), but your second child will be recognised as being French (which he is from birth), will get a French version birth certificate and be entitled to a passport once you have completed the paperwork :

1. To have your Hong Kong marriage registered in France and recorded on your husband's birth certificate - you will need to contact the French Consulate in Hong Kong (because you were married in Hong Kong) to determine what paperwork you need to submit
  2. To have your second child's birth registered in France and have him issued with a French version birth certificate, following which he will be entitled to apply for a passport - you will need to contact the French Consulate in London (because your son was born in the UK), or Scotland if he was born in Scotland, to determine what paperwork you need to submit.

You can do the same for your first child, but the application will be via the French Consulate in Sydney.

Not insurmountable, but unfortunately fairly complicated and painful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You and your husband are going to have to submit a heap of documentation and probably to the French Consulates in Hong Kong, Australia and the UK. This is because you haven't registered your marriage or your children's births with the French authorities, and your husband's French birth certificate hasn't been updated with these key events.

You may not actually need the Livret de Famille (and you may not get one at this late stage), but your second child will be recognised as being French (which he is from birth), will get a French version birth certificate and be entitled to a passport once you have completed the paperwork :

1. To have your Hong Kong marriage registered in France and recorded on your husband's birth certificate - you will need to contact the French Consulate in Hong Kong (because you were married in Hong Kong) to determine what paperwork you need to submit
  2. To have your second child's birth registered in France and have him issued with a French version birth certificate, following which he will be entitled to apply for a passport - you will need to contact the French Consulate in London (because your son was born in the UK), or Scotland if he was born in Scotland, to determine what paperwork you need to submit.

You can do the same for your first child, but the application will be via the French Consulate in Sydney.

Thank you so much

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Can I ask one more question, is every step you listed possible through post or email, because someone said that we might need to be physically in hong kong to get our wedding recognised now?

·
Administrator
53,162 Posts
Can I ask one more question, is every step you listed possible through post or email, because someone said that we might need to be physically in hong kong to get our wedding recognised now?
The only way to find that out for sure is to contact the consulate - by post or through their website. One thing you'll find about France (actually about just about any country these days) is that procedures may vary from one consulate to the next. Some consulates will insist you must show up in person, until you explain where you are. Some consulates may make you "sweat" a bit - but ultimately you should be able to get all the necessary stuff done at a distance, as long as you stay calm and polite in your dealings and ask whoever you're dealing with rather than trying to "tell" them how you think it should be.

The other thing to remember is that none of this paperwork happens quickly. Expect it to take time and you may wind up pleasantly surprised (or not).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
AFAIK the French Consulates will handle everything by mail or email. So I guess as long as you don't have an issue getting your documentation from the Hong Kong or South Korean authorities, you should be fine.

(I didn't get a notification re additional posts to this thread and have only just seen your question.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.