Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to this site. I sighed with relief finding this forum today. I've found so much useful information. It seems the UK and US website have me moving around in circles.

My question...I recently married my long term UK boyfriend last month. I will be applying for my spouse visa to join him in London in the Spring. I want to wait and collect one more bonus check and my tax returns before moving to cushion my moving fund. He is currently living in London and I may plan a trip out to see him in February before I apply for my visa. Will I have any problems flying in for just a visit being we are married? I could provide proof of returning to the US in the form of a return ticket.

Thanks so much. LOVE this forum!! :clap2:

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
In theory you should be able to come over as a visitor, even though you are now married, but in practice it depends on the immigration officer you'll meet and their perception of your 'true intention' may be. You can be honest and upfront and tell them you are just coming to visit your husband and leaving in so many days, and if asked, provide evidence such as return ticket and reasons for going back stateside. Or you can just play a typical tourist coming to sightsee in UK, with a rough itinerary, booked accommodation (which can be cancelled if staying with your husband), enough money to support yourself and return ticket. The latter, though slightly disingeneous, is easier of the two if all you want is a visitor's stamp in your passport, but you must stick to your script and don't breeze a word about having a British husband, which will complicate things no end. The downside of honesty in the first instance is that immigration officer may refuse to believe you and think you really intend to settle in UK without a spouse visa. In that case you will have more than a bit of explaining to do, and it's easy to say the wrong thing and incriminate yourself in the intimidating atmosphere of an interview room - the immigration service is well up on interrogation techniques and asking leading questions.
So the choice is yours. I've tried to outline the issues as best I can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much Joppa. I appreciate the response. I was leaning towards the 2nd. All other times I've flown in, their questions were never that in depth, so I figured if I don't tell them, they won't know. I absolutely do not intend to stay there until I have my visa, it's not like I'm trying to work the system...I'm not going to roll the dice with the government. Thanks again.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thank you so much Joppa. I appreciate the response. I was leaning towards the 2nd. All other times I've flown in, their questions were never that in depth, so I figured if I don't tell them, they won't know. I absolutely do not intend to stay there until I have my visa, it's not like I'm trying to work the system...I'm not going to roll the dice with the government. Thanks again.

Just have your script ready. the likly hood is you will sail through. Prime your place of work in the states that they may get a call from uk imigration to confirm when you are expected to return to work. If you have plenty of funds, a return ticket with a job to return to cant see a problem. Or why not just get your spousal visa now, even if you do not plan to move yet, it will give you unlimited free entry no questions asked. there are many post relating to time lines for this on here.

steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just have your script ready. the likly hood is you will sail through. Prime your place of work in the states that they may get a call from uk imigration to confirm when you are expected to return to work. If you have plenty of funds, a return ticket with a job to return to cant see a problem. Or why not just get your spousal visa now, even if you do not plan to move yet, it will give you unlimited free entry no questions asked. there are many post relating to time lines for this on here.

steve
Thanks Steve! I have thought of getting my visa now, but as I don't plan on making the move for another 6 months, I don't want to waste a 1/4 of my initial visa time in the states.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Thanks Steve! I have thought of getting my visa now, but as I don't plan on making the move for another 6 months, I don't want to waste a 1/4 of my initial visa time in the states.
You can have the start of your visa put forward by up to 3 months. i.e. you can specify the start date of your visa within 3 months of when you apply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.