Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My Frenchy and I got married on Saturday (civil ceremony). I'm on a visa class D (visiteur) valid til May 2012, and have my first carte de séjour already from the OFII.

As the only foreigner in the village, my Mairie is a little lost. They've called Annecy Prefecture, yet the procedure of how I go about changing the status of my carte de séjour from "visiteur" to "conjoint" to permit me to work.

Does anyone have any idea what forms I need / info I need to provide? The Prefecture says it all needs to be done at the Mairie, yet my Mairie seems to be getting rubbish or very little information from the Prefecture...

Secondly, OFII told me that once married and on a conjoint carte de séjour, foreigners are entitled to free language lessons for a period of time. Is this the case, and if so, how do I take advantage of this?

Cheers.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was under the impression that you couldn't change status, that you had to return home and apply for a visa as the conjoit of a French national. For your sake I hope to be corrected!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression that you couldn't change status, that you had to return home and apply for a visa as the conjoit of a French national. For your sake I hope to be corrected!
Yes, that's the case if you're on a tourist visa or a working holiday, but not a visitor visa apparently. Both OFII and the Prefecture have told me it's possible to just change my carte de séjour to a conjoint status and I won't have to return back to Australia... I'm fairly certain they're right, but I just need to know what to do in order to change it!

I love the French administration - clear as mud...

·
Administrator
51,624 Posts
As with all things in France "it depends" - but it appears that what they are now doing in lieu of a "fiancé visa" is to grant a "visitor visa" and then allow you to change status once the marriage has taken place.

Does anyone have any idea what forms I need / info I need to provide? The Prefecture says it all needs to be done at the Mairie, yet my Mairie seems to be getting rubbish or very little information from the Prefecture...
What forms you need are up to the local préfecture. And it's up to the mairie to get advice from the préfecture - you see first hand how well that is working...

Contact the préfecture and get the name of whoever is telling you to go through the mairie. Give that name to the person you deal with at the mairie and then let them sort it out. Smile the whole time you're doing all this... it will eventually work itself out.

Secondly, OFII told me that once married and on a conjoint carte de séjour, foreigners are entitled to free language lessons for a period of time. Is this the case, and if so, how do I take advantage of this?
Hm, normally it's the OFII that does all the arrangements for this. Maybe try contacting the OFII? (I hear they are not easy to reach for questions like this.) You should have already been signed up for a "Contrat d'accueil et d'integration" (CAI). Maybe you could call them to ask about that - because that's where the free French classes come in.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bev,

Yes, it's going to be a loooooong trial to get the information I need to get this process done, I think. It's already been a couple of weeks of back and forth... I actually had to ring OFII in the first place as my Mairie received information that I'd have to go through ANOTHER medical etc etc for another "first" carte de séjour - over my dead body! I have already paid €340! OFII confirmed this wasn't the case and that the Prefecture/Mairie had muddled things up and I went to my Mairie with this information who again (will not phone but) wrote to the Prefecture.

If I don't have any luck again, I guess I'll have to call the Prefecture again myself.

Thanks also for the information about the language courses. It was the OFII who tipped me off about these in the first place! I found them really helpful, honest and upfront during my carte de séjour visit, which was a refreshing change for a foreigner.

I'll give them a call when (hopefully) all this gets sorted.

Thanks for your help! I'll report back with the results.

Erin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.